Has anyone seen this before in a chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MRoberts7, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MRoberts7

MRoberts7 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    I was hoping someone could help me. I have a chick that was hatched by a broody and is almost 4 weeks old. She had been doing fine up until about three days ago when we noticed she wasn't sticking her neck out like the other chicks. In the last two days she seems to have gone downhill pretty rapidly. She will follow mamma everywhere she goes but when they other chicks stop to forage/scratch she will just sit there hunched up and eyes closed for the most part. Very low energy. She is always the last one and walks very stiffly. She is eating on occasion but I can't say I've seen her drink anything. But the strangest thing that I can find no info about is her wings. They are massive compared to the other chicks and don't seem to be shaped properly in wing or feather shape. And she doesn't seem to be losing any of her baby fluff. It's like the feathers are just piling in on top of the fluff. She appears really big bc of this, but when I pick her up she feels super light and frail compared to the others. Any ideas or help would be so appreciated. Thank you![​IMG]

2. MRoberts7

Feb 18, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry your chick is having trouble. While I don't know the answer, I'm just going to offer a few possibilities.... Have you checked for sour or impacted crop? Or pasty butt (not likely it when being raised by a broody)? Sounds like there may be some kind of blockage. Have you witnessed any poos from this chick? Can you separate out the chick for further investigation?

I would actually push fluids because I feel it's more important not to get dehydrated. Plain water may be good enough but you could try... If you don't have Nutri Drench or Save a Chick, I do home made electrolytes when needed. My recipe is ...

2 Tablespoons Molasses (brown sugar or Honey), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 2 cups warm water.

Hope your chick gets better and that you might get some more experienced advice than mine. Hope this help a little.

Good Luck!

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I have had these symptoms with turkey poults. Have one now. Have separated it and am giving antibiotics. (slipped a few grains inside a small grape before) I think I have coccidiosis on the property and have lost poults to this in the past. I am very observant now and see the signs.
    Hoping it perks up with the antibiotics and rest.
    If you decide to administer antibiotics orally research it first so the bird does not aspirate. Good luck

5. MRoberts7

Feb 18, 2015
    Thank you both for the advice. I have the chick isolated now with no food and am going to see in the morning about the possibility of impacted crop. Poor thing is very distressed to be separated from her mamma. She follows mamma everywhere. :-( I have been giving water with chick boost in it for the last 3 days. It has electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamins in it. Also noticed today that the chick is pooping occasionally and the poop is black and very dry/crunchy feeling. Can't seem to find any info on that either. As far as cocci, the poop pics I've seen all seem to be red with obvious blood. This is not like that at all. Should I treat with antibiotics anyway, just in case?

6. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I am not sure why you think it would be an impacted crop. I've never seen it and so don't immediately go to that. Apparently, you can smell the breath to get a clue if it is the case.
    I would allow food and water and see this as a sign the chick is improving if it eats. I also always weigh up the pros and cons of removing a bird from the flock. If the stress of separation is extreme then I wouldn't remove it. I have put a magic marker spot on the turkey who I will reunite with the flock ASAP to identify it later if I need to continue meds. It actually is doing well away from the flock but I put her on the front step in a cat carrier to help her feel safer. I know others will say to remove a sick bird so the flock doesn't get sick but I haven't seen anything contagious. I am more concerned about the chick recovering.
    I would give antibiotics but again BE CAREFUL if you give them orally as chickens easily aspirate if you don't know where to put the liquid. The vet showed me where to place the syringe and there is an excellent picture somewhere on here of the three openings in the throat. The far right or left side goes to the crop whereas the middle opening is the lungs. That's another good reason for putting a few grains of antibiotic in a little food if the bird is eating.
    The biggest mystery here is the size of the bird's wings. Perhaps it is a genetically flawed bird.
    Keep us posted and give it some special treats and water.

7. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Another comment. The clue of sickness is poop that is very liquidy. Rarely have I seen blood in the stool. On that occasion I didn't know whose it was and the whole flock went on antibiotics. Eggs withdrawn of course.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would be tempted to treat for possible coccidiosis also. But first I would bring in broody with the other chicks and place them in a pen or large crate. Take the chick and give it electrolyte water until you get Corid for coccidiosis, but leave it with it's flock. Corid dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder per gallon of water for 5 days. It could be just weak or dehydrated, but Corid will not harm them.

2 people like this.
  9. MRoberts7

Feb 18, 2015
    The poop is not at all watery. It's much more gravely or sandy and pitch black. The only reason I am checking for impacted crop is because these chicks have free ranged for the last few days and prior to that I have given them sunflower seeds a few times and neglected to offer them grit. I completely forgot about that and just want to rule the possibility.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That can be worrisome. I lost a hen who had an blocked gizzard from sunflower seeds. The crop might be full and hard. Feel of the abdomen for any masses. The molasses can act as a laxative. Let us know how the chick is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by