Has anyone seen this before???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheepsforkeeps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Last edited:
Eww! Could it be one of those grubs that get laid by flies into the skin of animals? I can't think of the name right now, though. They lay the grub into the skin and when its ready it will crawl its way out. Or you can pop it out.

ETA: I think their called Bot Flies.

Last edited:
Is there something in the hole or is it just a hole/wound? If you shine a light in the hole, you should be able to see if a larva is inside. If it is just a wound, keep it clean and away from the other hens so they won't pick it.

That kinda looks like a staph infection but I really can't tell. Colloidal silver would be my choice for treatment, externally and internally.

If you determine that there is a larva inside, put a blop of vaseline over the hole to suffocate it (for about 24 hours) and then remove the dead larva. They are hard to remove alive. They are too fat and covered in coarse hair.

Looking at the pic again, it seems like this hole is too big to be a bot fly hole, it looks like an infection and should be treated accordingly. Cleaning it, antibiotic cream, etc. Could it be a spider bite?

Last edited:
I looked up botfly (wish I hadn't!) . Do you get those where you live?
Is she being pecked? (looks like something a chicken couldn't resist taking a shot at) Could you pen her from the others to see if it gets any better? If it's not infected it should improve fairly quickly left unpecked.
While I was reading about botflys I see you got some great suggestions. Keep us posted and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom