has anyone "squabbed" their doves

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Pops2, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

i love dove and was wondering if anyone had eaten the excess produced by their doves? if so could you give particulars about the age butchered and how they dressed compared to say wild doves?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    doves or pigeons... ? most doves are too scrawny to eat..

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yep here in the USA ,people do eat doves, hunting season in some States. But to raise them for meat , most wouldn't.

4. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

Quote:most wild doves have a nice meaty breast & take about 3-4 birds per person for a meal.

nice looking bullies. do you have bigger pics of them?

5. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
  6. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

the mourning doves here are a little smaller than the ringneck and the white tip doves are same size or bigger but those are down closer to the mexican border. we also have feral populations of ringneck. all good eating but yeah definitely smaller than pigeons.

i loved the pics & video in your album. your bullies are awesome they look like the bullies from 50 years ago. bullies here are mostly shorter, wider and near impossible to get fit. i really love the head on that black & white dog. do you perchance catch wild hogs with them?

7. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    the black and white and the brindle white are not pure bullies, they're 1/4 pitt.

We don't use them to hunt ourselves but he was used to sire a few pigdogs when he was younger (he's 15 now) mostly crossed with greyhounds and labs, quite successfull cross as well.

he himself will be quite useless as a pigdog... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. miko

miko Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    talking about dove, i think of my naughty days when i let so many doves fly away when my mother was going to sell them.

9. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

don't worry Miko
    thanks to you we have a year round open season on ringnecks [​IMG] (no they don't taste like chicken)

NZpouter
    good pigdog shouldn't bother w/ shoats anyway. those are good crosses. pitXlab is popular in florida because of all the water & the pitXgrey is fairly common in more open parts of Texas. still if i found those dogs at the pound i'd take em & put em on a hog w/ confidence. VERY good looking bullies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by