Has anyone succesfully rehabilitated a chicken eating Dog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by buckeye lady, Oct 31, 2008.

1. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Our Pit mix has broken into the coop twice now. I've lost 2 of my nicest hen's to her. She doesn't bother my cats and she isn't interested in my rabbits but she can't leave my hens alone.
    Of course we're gonna fortify the coop a bit more. The first time she got in it was at a seem in the wire that she was able to work open despite overlap and wire fasteners, the second time she was able to push the 200lb run away from the coop and squeeze between them. She's very strong and very smart. We knew each time she had done these by her submissive posture when she greeted us coming home. She understands that she is NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT THE CHICKENS but she doesn't seem to be able to control her urges.
    Lead pills are not an option so don't go there.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Well, I saw a friend of mine tie the dead bird (the one the dog killed) to the dogs collar and made him wear it for a week. It stunk real bad but when she took it off, he never looked at a chicken again. I can't say would work for you but it did work for her. Good Luck!

3. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I just had to "REHOME" my American Bulldog grump because of this same problem. Very nice dog, I've had her a long time great with kids. When they have a prey drive to kill small game, which is very common in terrier and bully breeds then in my personal experience you will only continue to be heart-broken. I had to keep mine on a chain, in a pen. Sad, but it was for her own protection. I had her down with her puppies(5weeks at time) and she chewed through a chain link kennel and went straight for my girls. Killed two at one time, in the same place. One of the few times her chain was off because she was still nursing pups. She knew it was off.
    Just because they want to kill doesn't mean they are bad. Just not suitable for having around small game. Just my two cents and I hope all goes well for you.

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    I have had pitbulls and rat terriers for years. The best luck I've had is to catch a chicken and tie it to an electric fence with wire. Hang it above the ground so the chicken's head doesn't touch the ground. Let the dog loose, and it will attack the chicken and get the surprise of it's life. Be sure to do this before the dog has killed a chicken, and it will associate chickens with nasty shocks. I did this within a week of getting the dog, and it has worked well.

I did have a dog that had already started to kill chickens before we got her, and while this stopped her for awhile, she eventually reverted to her old habits. Had to get rid of her.

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Long ago, when I lived in the city, my dog broke into a neighbors yard and killed some chickens. It was an odd situation - they hated the chickens (which someone gave their kids) and they were glad the dog did it. They would not let me buy them more chickens! I still feel bad about it!! I was NOT glad the dog did it. I put up hotwire and he never got back under the fence and never killed another chicken.

By the time I got my chickens, the dog was quite old and didn't bother them. So was he rehabilitated for killing chickens? Well, probably not. But he was taught to stay the heck away from the fence.

I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, but it sounds like you have a good fence that just needs some good 'bite'.

6. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Come on you night owls-I need some advice.

7. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I was told those shock collars work great. Every time the dog looks even look at a bird push the buzz button. After a while they don't even want to smell chicken! LOL

8. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    My dog killed my first 10 chicks, so I don't plan on trusting her to rehabilitation. I'm building the coop and run like a fort, and am going to put electric fence wiring around the run. I may also do a little training with a remote control shock collar, just to diminish her urge, but I'll never trust her with my chickens.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    some have jumped on my case about stating this before but it worked.

We had a pair of Black and tan Coonhounds...the female keep killing chickens. so my grandfather tied the dead chicken to her collar reall close to her body and tight on the collar. he then tied her on a short lead to a tree. She had shade, water and food, but he left her there for a little over a week. This was in august in florida. [​IMG]

the result...chicken was rancid, dog was going nuts because she could not get it off her and her sensitive nose was not pleased with that smell. After she was turned loose, she literally ran from any chicken that crossed her path. It did not affect her as a hunting dog or in any way aside from the chickens...she feared them.

It is a worth a try.

good luck with this.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  10. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Seeing as your chickens are enclosed, electric wire would be the perfect solution. Just run a strand or two around the run etc & NEVER turn it off (dogs are smart). She will get the shock of her life & will stop trying to get in very quickly. Hope things work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by