1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone successfully hatched pullet eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

My bantams just started laying and I am wondering how long to wait before hatching some? AND if I can hatch new pullet eggs. Has anyone else had success at this?

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Well I just did. I didn't know my black sexlined hens had started laying, then I found a nest of 10 egg's. I Only have 2 hens so didn't know how old the eggs were. I couldn't bring myself to toss them so we made a cooler bator, and last week 9 hatched, only 1 didn't and it was fully formed not sure what happend. I was so surprised. The chicks are doing great.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Very cool...thanks for the comment. I'm considering trying to hatch some of my D'uccle eggs and I am sending some eggs to a BYCer to test fertility for me so I wanted to be sure it could be done [​IMG] THanks!

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Well good luck, I am sure it might not be the answer alot might give. It is possible to do though I have 9 babies to prove you can, but not sure if its best to do it.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    This chick just hatched yesterday. It is the second egg ever laid from a pullet
    [​IMG]
    and these chicks are all from pullet eggs.
    [​IMG]
    I pulled every egg that looked decent and put them under broodies, and a few in a styrofoam incubator. Not all were fertile, and not all fully developed, but I now have around thirty chicks I didn't have a month or two ago, all from pullet eggs.
    Here are what the eggs looked like, or some of them at least.
    [​IMG]
    and...
    [​IMG]

I say go for it. I only had one hatch that I had to cull for deformity, splayed legs.

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Yup, my banty cochin just hatched tiny little chicks out of her tiny little pullet eggs. What a good mom she is. The entire time she was broody, two stupid roosters climbed in the nest to sleep with her every night. Practically smothered her, lol. Had to move her once the chicks hatched for fear the roosters would squish them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by