Has anyone tried a dark cornish roo over a cochin or orpington hen?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Godiva, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I like the cochin and BO size but I was wondering if I combined the heaviness of the cornish with those if it might make a nicer roasting fowl... Just wondering...

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have not. I'm sure someone has.

I've crossed Dark Cornish with Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Freedom Rangers (black, grey and golden) and Black Sex Links.

3. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I have an old book by Marie Armstrong Essipoff--one of my favorite books, and she crossed a Buff Orpington hen with a White Cornish roo and claimed it was "worthy of a perch in the chicken Hall of Fame." (The author was the first wife of Ben Hecht of Hollywood) I have always wanted to try this cross. If you try this cross, please let us know the results.

Her book, published in the 1950s, "Making the Most of Your Food Freezer," is still relevant and covered many areas of gardening and animal raising. She also had recipes and funny stories in the book. She had a Plymouth Rock called "Gypsy Rose Lee" because the hen lost her "plumage," losing her baby down and forgot to grow new feathers--"bald as an egg."

4. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks. Greyfields, what did the crosses you tried turn out like?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Getting the white cornish is the hard part.

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    My two week old chicks are Delaware roo X Cornish hens. I got them off ebay just to see what they would turn out like.

So far they got all their wing feathers by the end of first week and have tail feathers and some back feathers by the end of second week. They are active and have healthy appetites. and like to jump around.

I can let you know more in about 10 more weeks.

Supposidly they are partly sex-linked. The males being darker than the hens when first hatched out.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Best results I've ever had were crossing my Dark Cornish on my held-back Freedom Ranger hens. The second place was him crossed on the Black Sex Links. Everything else was a very distant 3rd.

I held back one Freedom Ranger cockrel this year, too. I'm going to try crossing him on one of the Colored Range broilers. Although rebreeding hybrids is a dodgey business, I'm just curious to see the results.

What I really need is to rebreed my Cornish to more Cornish to get a larger sire. He's not particularly large and I think if I were to upsize him, I'd get better results each year.

And like MissPrissy says, I've never seen a white Cornish in my lifetime. And furthermore, if you look in broiler catalogs, the 'Cornish' sire doesn't look a thing like the Cornish we see (they use hybrid sires and dames).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by