Has anyone tried a "Rat Zapper"?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickChickChicky, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I was looking online for solutions to a rat problem I suddenly have, they are getting into my garage. There's nothing out there for them to eat (that I know of) but I'm seeing their poops everywhere and it looked like they were trying to build a nest under a pallet. So while searching online for what would best kill them I ran across a product called a Rat Zapper. It appears to be a battery operated box that you bait, and when a mouse or rat goes in it get electrocuted. The reviews I've seen on it are very good, and the concept interests me because I've never had much success with snap traps, hate glue traps, and would like to avoid poison if possible (mostly because I don't want anything eating the poisoned carcasses). If you have used this product, would you tell me your experiences with it? The thing costs about $40 but if it really works I'm gonna buy one.
    http://www.ratzapperonline.com/

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

We have the ultra one. Works great on the mice. The light will blink if there is something in it and you just dump it out, so you don't have to touch the thing. No rats, so not sure how it would work on them, but its great on mice.

3. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Wow, thanks for the info! I had never even HEARD of one of these things til today, but it sounds like such a great concept. I'm hoping maybe a few more people will chime in here with their experiences, to help pry that $40 out of my cheapskate hand [​IMG]

4. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    We have had two of them for a couple of years now. We also have mice, not rats, but they are very effective. I have some of the old-fashioned snap traps too, and the zappers seem to work better. The mice can sometimes eat the peanut butter off the snap traps without tripping it, but only once or twice have they been able to do that in the zapper. They don't go through batteries as much as I thought they would - we replace them about once a season. All in all, we're happy with their performance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by