Has Anyone Tried Cackles Fry Pan Special ?????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by RAREROO, Jan 13, 2011.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi

I am hoping to order some sexlink hens from Cackle and I was also thing about adding in their Fry Pan Special of 100 male chicks for $35.95 and eventually try to resell them and hope to make at least a dolar or two each off of them at an auction to help repay the cost of the entire chick order and I was wondering if anyone esle has tried it and what breeds you got ? Where they all heavy breeds or did some of them have the little leghorn and ornamental breeds in it ?

Thanks

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I did about 12 t o13 years ago, believe me you will get the rooster in it. I ordered 100 expecting to get about 25 or so pullets (I know it says mostly cockeral but may include a few pullets) but toguht maybe 20 to 25 pullets. I got 99 cockerals and 1 pullet. [​IMG]

Order only if you are wanting rooster for eating. Then again you might luck out.

ETA: Most were the heavier breeds, alot of the sex-linked roosters. There were not any of the light breeds such as Leghorns in it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OK Thanks for your reply, yes I know they they should be all roosters and really wouldnt care if all 100 of the were roosters. depending on the breed I get I may sell them or some of them at a few weeks old or if I do get the good heavy breeds and sexlinks and stuff then I can raise some ofthem off to butchering size and may butcher a few myself, but a the right time of year the local hispanics buy young meaty roosters really well for eating. Though if I did grow them off some pullets would be nice and would sell better too so maybe if I hope for all roosters maybe I will get some pullets lol

4. biomistake

biomistake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Russellville
    I did the frypan special last spring and wound up with BA JG PRIR and NH and two WR... they all dressed out decent sized as I fed them gamebird the first 8 wks then 20% the last 8 weeks... they make great fryers but the few I kept to 24 weeks to see what they would turn into by then, well it was dissappointment. I might as well butchered them at 18 weeks instead. They ate well there is no doubt about that [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks for your replys. However I have now decided to go with Mt Healthy's 200 for $50 deal. A friend of mine just got this deal to and she said all of hers look great and she got RIRs, Buff Orps, and Commet roos.

6. biomistake

biomistake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Russellville
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes it certainly is and on top of that, I will be ordering 55 chicks that I personally need, so for ordering at least 50 normally priced chicks, I get 25 addition free cockerels as a Bonus for ordering at least 50. So that would give me a total of 275 chicks for not quite even $200.

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I know you said that you've decided to get them from Mt Healthy, but just though I'd share that in my 2010 Cackle catalog it says...

FRYPAN SPECIAL

(Hatchery Choice) These are all Cockerels of Heavy Breed Chicks. 5 free Exotic chicks or 3 free ducks with every order of 100!

I don't know why they don't specify all heavy breeds on their website. [​IMG]

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I don't know why they don't specify all heavy breeds on their website. [​IMG]

Yep I saw that, mt Healthy has the same deal for as they do 100 for $35 in their Bargain #1 ( Mt.H just dosent have the free ducks or chicks with the order) But Mt.H does have the 200 for $50 in the Bargain #2 and that seemed like a better deal.

Anybody got a 2011 Cackled Catalog yet ?

10. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I know this is an old thread but has anyone else tried this? I have a little more research to due but I think I can do as the original poster has suggested and sell them at auction but I have to get a brooder/hen house big enough and cages to trans port and a smaller coop (probably a re-purposed dog house) if I get a few hens until I sell or butcher the roosters. I hope to sell enough to pay off my start up expenses because I know of an auction where the roosters bring in 3-8 dollars each and the hens bring in 1-3 dollars.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by