Has Anyone Tried Classical Music?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldGuy43, Mar 3, 2013.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I play talk radio at night to help keep predators at bay and that got me to thinking; It's reported that cows give more milk when listening to music. Would the same work of chickens and eggs?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    OldGUY43, let me know that talk channel and I'll just broadcast it all over the farm all day long [​IMG].... Have you ever seen a predator approach and then back away when it heard the talk show???? I want the radio show you think does the best. And I will tape and play it over and over!!!!! When I drove with my Dad on long trips as a child, any of those am talk stations would make me go to sleep and I was the one who was supposed to keep him awake on our even road trips. So maybe it bores the predator. I have always heard it is the "element of surprise", so if a predator returns ad it is the same detractor, will that predator, just think oh well, no harm the last time. I'd love to see the research on that! Interesting..............

Because we farm full time and hubby loves music, there are usually radios left running all over the farm. Our goats do like music but at night, it's no music after 9:00 pm ....They need their sleep!

Do an experiment on music and eggs!!!!! Have a blessed day!

3. kitkat2498

kitkat2498 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    I used to play classical music for my chicks,and they loved it! I don't know if it would help with egglaying,but they might enjoy it anyways. Good luck,and make sure to keep us updated on how it works!

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, I'm operating under the theory that most predators are liberal, or maybe it's the other way around? [​IMG]

But seriously, the only proof that I can offer is negative in nature. I have had no(!) nighttime predation since I started the radio thing. I had plenty in the beginning though. [​IMG]

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    As a kid my father put a radio out in the garden, news station, to keep the raccoons away from the sweet corn. Seemed to work, except he kept cutting the extension cord while mowing. I second doing the experiment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by