Has anyone tried DAMPRID to lower humidity in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lovemychicns, Oct 29, 2008.

1. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I dunno... I mean, humidity is really easy to control in a coop just by means of ventilation and good litter-and-poo management, why pay money for something consumable you have to keep buying more of?

Also, as far a I can tell it's just a big ol' bucket of (scented, ick!) calcium chloride. I would betcha anything you can buy it as a sack o' calcium chloride (like, ice melter) for much cheaper. But then, whatcha gonna do with it when it's wet? Enough water quality problems in this world without dumping MORE salt down into sewers, and your septic system wouldn't thank you either.

Just have decent ventilation, a droppings board, not excessively crowded chickens, and keep your litter fluffed and topped up, and you'll be fine [​IMG]

JMHO,

Pat

3. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Have to agree with Pat, ventilation is the best control.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Isn't damprid poison? I use to hid it in an old house closet to keep my cat from getting into it. It liguidifies when it absorbs moisture. Jean

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mfr. sez it's just calcium chloride, like what you use to melt ice on the sidewalk when you don't use 'real salt' (sodium chloride). You don't want your cats getting into it nor your chickens tankin' up on it but it is not, like, rat poison or anything [​IMG]

Still wouldn't use it myself, though, just for reasons of pointlessness and waste.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by