1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone tried gender guessing eggs prior to hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Learningstill, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Hey,

I just read an article which says you can guess the gender pretty accurately by the shape of the egg. The more round-oval the egg equals pullet, the more pointed equals cockerel .
    Has anyone attempted this?

Please share any tricks, superstitions, or methods you use to hatch desired genders.

2. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I don't have any superstitions. I'm lucky if I can guess when there two or three months old. BUT chickens generally lay the same shape every time (with a random odd egg thrown in from time to time). If there was truth to this, my silkie would only hatch out girls and my rock would only hatch out boys.

3. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Ha ha!

I figured this had little truth. Supposedly this is a old method used to weed out Roos from hatching.

My daughter uses another older method for new chicks. She holds them by their heads and shoulder area, but over head and lets their legs dangle. (Chicks head is in palm) If the chick kicks like crazy it's a roo and if it lays still or nearly still it's a hen. She has been right majority of the time with this method. :D

4. Serenity Sav

Serenity Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Bonny Doon, California
    1 person likes this.
  5. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013

Thanks, that is a great source for these! How cool. Some of the responses to her post said they tried some and they worked. One said the egg thing worked for them. They hatched 30 eggs and maybe two are Roos. I would say that is good odds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by