1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HAS anyone tried MARSHMALLOWS to trap RACCOONS?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rebel-rousing-at-night, Nov 28, 2010.

1. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have tried marshmallows in your trap for raccoons?What were your results?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Nope never tryed marshmallows, but we have a friend that swears by those sugar wafer cookies,...they come in choc, vanilla, and strawberry. He says they LOVE the strawberry ones. [​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have heard of it before, but have never tried it myself, I have been using peanut butter and it works (insert evil laughter).

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I've tried it and caught a few, but they don't work as good as cheap canned dog foor.[​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yep, but it worked better catching skunks....ack!

Try Honey Buns from Little Debbie. They love 'em

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    marshmallows work here but I put a little molasses with them, marshmallows work because they are easy to see molasses has a lot of smell even when cold. I have never caught a domestic animal using this combo.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The one time we needed to trap a coon we used marshmallows and it worked. We didn't use canned cat food, because we didn't want to catch cats.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I tried them once and ended up catching my chicken (course they come to any bait) didn't catch any raccoons though.

I do catch plenty of raccoons using WalMart brand cheap dry catfood. I haven't caught any cats in a good long while, after once or maybe twice they seem to learn not to go in the trap.

9. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    The coons always seem to be able to get into the garbage cans. Set out some trash.[​IMG]

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still a huge fan, and extremely curious as to if it works, about the coon trap in Where The Red Fern Grows...

As to mallows, I know the ones at the state park gobbled ours...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by