Has anyone tried opening a Blood Ringed egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CBee, Jan 30, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I opened one of mine just a while ago, out of curiosity, and it was just a red ring on the yolk, but veins were growing out of it and attaching to the embryo, like it was a part of the growing baby. Is that normal? The embryo was a quitter anyways, so I don't feel bad opening it, but what about the others? I have several other eggs with these "blood rings" that appear to be their correct size for the age that they are. Are they dead, then? Or is this something else entirely?

2. Hi Courtney!
    Yes, that is normal --- shows that the embryo started growing and then stopped for some reason.
    About the others?
    What day are you on?
    Good luck!
    Lisa

3. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Hello Lisa! [​IMG]

The others are on day 14. I have 2 other eggs that have what looks to be blood rings, but now I'm not so sure what it is since I opened the other one. I thought blood rings were bacteria that invaded the shell and killed the embryo. If that was the case, why would veins be attaching to the line of red?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just so confused. [​IMG]

4. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I opened a blood ring egg at day 10 and it had no embryo that I could see.
    The yolk and white were mixed together, no distinguishable yolk sack and it did not smell.
    My first experience incubating eggs. This was one of twelve mutt eggs as I am testing my incubator, a practice run. The other 11 eggs are developing fine.
    Carolyn

5. Hi! To be honest, I don't understand 'blood rings', except that it is an embryo that 'started and stopped' because conditions were almost right but not completely right --- not that bacteria was an issue.
    I'm sure that happens, but not here.
    The 'veins attaching to the ring' sounds like your embryos are growing'
    or am I misreading?
    Good luck!
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by