Has anyone tried raising chickens in an urban setting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Philly2, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Philly2

Philly2 New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    I live in NYC and was wondering. I do have a small back yard

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Many people have chickens in an urban setting if they are not restricted by city or town. Are you interested in chickens for eggs, meat, or amusement? How small is your yard? What kind of predators would you be dealing with?

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. Philly2

Philly2 New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    Eggs, I think. The only animals running around are rats and stray cats. Would either of them attack chickens?

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi and welcome to BYC!

We are in the country but on a recent trip to Denver, CO I found out people there are now allowed to keep chickens. I would guess a lot of people do, whether it's allowed by law or not.

As for cats and rats, they can be a problem to chickens and their owners. You can find out a lot about chicken predators and pests here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. And if you would like to connect with other members in New York state, you can find them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/231485/ny-chicken-lover

Nice to have you join us!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Both rats and stray cats will attach chickens (rats normally do it while the chickens are roosting at night). Be sure and predator proof your coop and run. There is a good article on this at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html. Be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as too many predators can either tear through chicken wire, or else squeeze through the openings in the mesh. If you have raccoons in your area (far more common in cities than people might think), be sure and either padlock your coop door or else use a double action latch on it as raccoons can easily figure out how to open a single action latch. If you are getting just a small number of hens, and egg production is your main priority, I would suggest getting Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Even a few Black Sex Link hens will give you a good, steady supply of eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

6. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

7. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    Welcome ! I have heard of people having them in NYC. Call the city zoning board and see if they have restrictions. For feed you may have to travel a bit or get it by mail.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great advice from NorthFLChick and Michael.

Good to have you join us!

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! The community on here is HUGE and all of the members are wonderful…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Here are some helpful links to help you get around BYC

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with getting your backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by