has anyone tried Shake Away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicknmania, Jul 24, 2011.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I have read that it is a very good raccoon repellant, though not foolproof, of course. My question is, since it is powdered coyote urine,
    would it attract coyotes?[​IMG] Yes, I know the best solution to a racccoon problem is shooting them. But, I don't have the guts to do that.
    And neither does anyone else in my family, including my husband. Plus, we would have to live trap the problem ones, then shoot em....and I don't want to live trap other things like skunks. The coons are very hard to shoot in the location they are in, though if I knew for sure I could get a clean shot and kill quickly, and not hit anything else like our neighbor's house or a chicken, I probably would try to shoot at least the main problem coon. I can call a trapper if I have to, but we did that several years ago and I detested the guy. Very bad experience. [​IMG] So far, the coons have only killed one hen in the past several weeks, but they have raided our feed bins and stolen
    eggs, and I'm sure if the opportunity presents, they will kill another chicken at first opportunity.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Contact your local trapper organization and try again to find a expert or maybe your local Fish & Game office can help. You don't really have to have them come to your home, just e-mail them give them good information. (like a computer, garbage in / garbage out) Ask a expert about the Shake Away contents and if it will bring in yotes. Probably having a container or a printout of the contents will help get a good answer.

As to disposing of a live trapped animal, drowning is quick and you can't really miss.

3. clbdownunder

clbdownunder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    I didn't think I would have it in me to kill the coons and skunks either, but the skunks were stealing most of the eggs daily. The only thing that can make me pull the trigger is the mental thought of it ripping my panicked chickens apart. I don't like doing it, but I love my chooks more. I've trapped and disposed of lots of coons and skunks in just the last several weeks. If I had to rely on animal control, they would have to be here every day.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Its got to be a gimmick.

It claims to be "Fox urea"

Urea is a chemical which is the same no matter what the source.
    It's present in all urine, and is just as likely to attract pedators as it is to repel them.

Fox urine is often used as a cover scent by hunters and it doesn't repel anything at all

It will quickly break down in the soil and disappear

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Quote:The thing about skunks is, they will keep rats and mice away. They eat em. :l We have a skunk "problem" too but unless it gets a whole lot worse I'm leaving them alone. They take an occasional egg, and basically use our barn for shelter. They have been there for months
    and have not harmed the chickens. Sometimes skunks will kill a chicken, but these have not. Plenty of other stuff to eat. I would rather have them then coons, any day. The mother skunk ignores us, and we ignore her.Her babies are pretty much weaned now and they are starting to go their separate ways, anyway. We have had skunks almost every year and have given up worrying about them. Animal control won't do anything they would just tell us to shoot em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by