Has Anyone Tried Special LED Poultry Lighting?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Minniechickmama, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I saw some information at our State Fair, and since we are finishing up our big house for breeding pens, I have been thinking over what type of lighting I should use. I am hoping to run everything off solar, but that may be wishful thinking for this year.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

if you have few chickens it could be possible.[​IMG]

3. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I will be over-wintering about 100 breeders. I have 9 breeding pens for Standards and then I will have 6 or 7 raised pens/cages for my bantams in those. The building is 12'X36'. The lighting will be needed for the extended laying season once they come out of moult.

4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Oh thats a lot. You would have to have a lot of solar panels to get enough energy.[​IMG]

5. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    You actually shouldn't need too many PV panels since the lights will only be on for a few hours per day and LEDs are really efficient. PV panels have really come down in price. Check out the forums over at http://www.otherpower.com/, they're a bunch of do it yourselfers and would be glad to help you figure it out.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks, Mad! I will check them out.
    My husband has been going on and on about using LEDs. He is an electronics tech and geeks out about that kind of stuff. I agree with him and you, they are a nice bright light and run on way less energy. Now, if I can get some that run on is it DC? and then I wouldn't have to use the converter and could run it direct, thus cutting my energy usage even more. My neighbor said I can build my own large panel for $80, I don't remember the wattage, I think 100? anyway, he has built some himself. If I knew him better I might ask him for help, but I think he is on the road most of the time and just know if him from when his wife bought eggs from me and he had to pick them up.
    Our electric bill is high enough, so anything I can do to keep that down and stay as renewable as possible.

7. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    You can get some 12volt LED modules at dealextreme.com in the automotive section. Dealextreme stuff is so-so quality, but the cost is so low it's worth it.

I wouldn't bother making panels unless you have a lot of spare time. Check out sunelec.com for really low prices on panels.

You'll also need a charge controller and a deep cycle battery. And a timer. Finding a timer might be the tricky part,most are designed for 120v AC.

Also check out candlepowerforums.com for lots of discussion on lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by