1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone tried storing hatching eggs at 40° for more females?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantu, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
  2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    It's an interesting article. I have never tried it but sometimes when I'm collecting hatching eggs in the winter the eggs are pretty cold when I bring them in. I have tried lowering the incubator temperature for the first few days to see if I get more females. But I couldn't see where it made a difference. What I have noticed is that in the winter and early spring I get more males but in the summer I have a higher percentage of females. And I have noticed that some of my hens will only produce males where some hens have mostly female chicks.

I've been hatching for years and I still haven't figured out a way to get more girls. So I buy a lot of females at the feed store. [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'll call click bait on FED.

I think if it were true, the hatcheries would have caught on long ago.

The article/study they cited was published in 1960,
    no numbers of eggs in the study were given,
    and.....
    "However, storage at 40°F produced significantly more pullets than cockerels, 54.6 per cent. of the chickens being pullets."
    ......4.6% is not 'significant' in my book, but within the normal range of gender ratio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by