Has anyone tried the "heat a seat" in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leithsloft, Nov 1, 2014.

1. leithsloft

leithsloft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I use those all of the time when I go deer hunting. I see a couple of problems with using them in the nests. First, they cool off very quickly so they won't retain the heat from the chickens' hineys long enough to make much difference - IF the nesting material between them and the pad even allows for much warming from lack of direct contact. Second, they have a slick side. Your nesting material will slide off and all around. The chickens like to scratch in their nests, getting them all cozy. Whatever nesting material hasn't slid off will be scratched aside, leaving the girls scratching on the surface of the pad. It's only a matter of time until a hole gets punctured, they discover the little beads in there, and eat them. Yep....that could be a problem. I left a veritable trail behind me deer hunting once because a twig on the ground had put a small hole in the pad. The little beads were just dibbling out of it as I walked.

If you do try it, let us know if it works....it would be an interesting solution to a freezing problem.

3. leithsloft

leithsloft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    Thank you. All very good points! I think I might try one carefully, and make a duck cloth cover for the extra safety. I don't know or remember how long it took them to cool off, but hopefully it helps. I have 2 hens that lay around 5 am and I just am not that early of a riser! Maybe the extra warmth will encourage them to sit a little longer till I get my hinny up! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by