Has anyone tried the NEW Eco-Glow brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thespinningcottage, Dec 10, 2010.

1. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    From what I understand, Brinsea has made improvements (couldn't say what they are) on the Eco-Glow brooder. Does anyone have experience with the latest model? I'm thinking of buying one to use in my classroom with 8 - 10 chicks, but I've read so many negative reviews, mostly citing that it doesn't produce enough heat for the chicks. I need an alternative to the heat lamps because of little fingers potentially getting burned. I have grant money to spend (yay!) and need to be able to safely brood chicks in the classroom around 7 year olds. If you have some experience with the Eco-Glow, I'd love to hear about it!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Did anyone try this yet?
    I also thought about it and looked into the Sweeter Heaters, too.
    Always looking for more bang for my buck, ya know?

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I just bought an Ecoglow last week. It was brand new, so I assume it's the newer model I've got, but I'm not sure. How would I check this? Anyway, I think it's great. The leaflet that came with it says it's only suitable in ambient temperatures of 10C and over but the night time temperature in my house where my chicks' brooder is has dropped below 10C a couple of times since I got it and they've been fine. My chicks seem to love it and I think it's much more natural than a heat lamp that makes the whole brooder hot. Looking at the size of it, I'd be doubtful that it would keep 20 chicks warm, but I'd think 10 would fit under it fine. (I only have five at the moment.) Hope that helps you a bit!

4. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Since I usually have at least 50 chicks in a brooder at one time and several brooders going at once I do not think it would work for me. I can just see my 3 week olds popping up on top of it and pooping all over it.
    My barn can get pretty chilly so I think I will have to pass on it.

5. easycookrecipes

easycookrecipes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    I have not but I am interested!

6. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Check out the other thread on it. That is what changed my mind.
    If I only had 10-15 chicks at a time brooding they might work but I just don't do small numbers.
    I would try the Sweeter Heater if I could afford it but I am afraid I would not like it and be stuck with nothing I could use.

BTW, I do not use 250 wts. I only use 125 wts at the most! Even when 25 degrees at night.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

IMO, the Sweeter Heater is not as useful for brooding chicks, best used for established poultry (and dogs outside, etc.). Takes the edge off the cold and the animals have a place to go that is less cold.

The Eco-Glow brooder is designed for chicks. They can go under it, warm up, and run back outside the same way chicks with a broody hen do: snuggle to warm, dash out to play, go back in to warm up.

I have just ordered one and it has been shipped. I'll post with my findings.

8. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

I use a 100 watt red incandescent outdoor floodlight bulbs. More chicks means add more bulbs.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I just got an eco-glow and am using it with 13 chicks. They fit just fine and love it! Not sure how well it will work when they are a little bigger, but at less than a week old it's perfect. [​IMG]

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Where's the other thread? I found a few that mentioned it but nothing that would have put me off getting one...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by