Has anyone tried this on their chickens to prevent icky bugs?

The active ingredient IS Permethrin, so plain old Permethrin may be a better choice because the so called growth regulator only increases the effect of the active ingredient by giving it a longer half life in the environment. I guess it really comes down to the cost verses the benefit. Read the instructions and follow them.

Last edited:
Well if the IGR is methoprene that is a hormone disruptor(sp) that is supposed to be safe if YOU come in contact with it. I am using it(1 oz with 1 gallon water) sprayed around the home for flea larvae,so they can not reproduce.

http://www.drugs.com/international/avian-insect-liquidator.html

I have used the permethrin and methoprene with no issue.Don't know about that other ingredient.

Now even though they say it is safe that does not mean some people/animals will not have issue with it.Just like sometimes 1 out of a million people vaccinated might die.It happens.Weigh the benefit and risk and decide.

I have to do that with giving the pets flea and worm treatment. Some have had reactions.I hope nothing long term,but I have to take the risk.People use drugs off label all the time.It is a risk,but sometimes it all works out fine.

If I have any methoprene left maybe I will spray the coop.Not getting any eggs anyway. I got 1 oz for $7.05.
Best wishes!

Last edited:
I just found out that I have fleas in my run, since I live in South Texas this is going to be a constant battle for good. I have researched for 2 days and found this product (Archer- pyriproxyfen) which is IGR (third generation). I contacted the seller and he recommended to spray all the chicken yard, run and coops with a diluted solution of 1 oz per gallon of water. I will have to reapply in 10 days and then subsequently in 6 months. Archer kills eggs, larvae and pupae of all insects that go thru this phases in their life cycles (including mites) but does not kill the adults, for that I am planning to use chicken dust (permethrin/pyrethrin) to dust my 9 hens and spray permathrin in the run and coops. I am still debating on the dilution since there are difference of opinions about it in BYC. I love my girls and I certainly do not want to harm them but on the other hand I wish I would not have to use pesticides on them however fleas are not good either for them and they can become a real problem so I want to attack them before they decimate my flock.
Any words of wisdom from experienced and non experienced flocksters?

Back
Top Bottom