Has anyone tried to cross a BR tom with BBB hen?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by GJ_Kate, Jun 28, 2011.

1. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    I may possibly be getting a 4ish month old BBB hen tomorrow and already have a 1 year old BR tom (and hen). Just wondering if anyone has crossed them (or similar) and would it make a more "intermediate growth" turkey? Kinda like everyone on the meat bird forum trying to make something in between a Cornish X and a dual purpose/heritage breed...

2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    I know that many people have Bronze-Red turkeys that have the colour of the bronze but their wings are bourbon reddish.

I don't know.You could try it!

3. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Thanks! I did get the turkey but she's only 3 months old.
    I was wondering about the potential size and growth rate since it would be 1/2 broad breasted.
    Anyone ever cross a broad breasted with any heritage breed??
    Also do BBB sexually mature faster than heritage? I know they grow faster, but if kept at a decent weight, would they start to lay sooner?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

4. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    BBB are a special highly breed hybrid. That is why they grow fast. Even if you breed two BBB turkeys together you would not get the results of the parents. All turkeys are seasonal layers.

5. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I have had the BBB twice and never had one make it to maturity. I had one hen make it until almost a year old and it died. My Blue Slate tom in the pen never breed with her either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by