Has anyone tried "Waterglassing" to preserve eggs?

Bhapimama

Songster
Jul 30, 2017
Blue Lake, CA
I stumbled across a YouTube video today that demonstrates how to preserve fresh eggs by submerging them in a bath of water and hydrated lime. Apparently they keep this way for eight plus months. I found a couple of videos that talked about it and one where she actually came back 8 months later and compared the egg to a freshly laid egg and also did the float test. Looks promising amd I'm just wondering if any on here has tried it. Please share your experience!

Well, I'm the crazy one, trying it. Read the articles, watched the youTube videos. I'll follow up in a few months and let you know how it works out. I'm a good record keeper, so recorded the date I put them in there, and the day they were laid. I intend to add to it as I get more. Not a crock, but plastic container, with a sealed lid. Hopefully Pencil stays on through the process. Thought I would try one every month or so, to make sure they're holding up ok, and that I'm not wasting eggs frivolously. I bought Hydrated Lime, from the gardening section of the building supply store. Its all I could come up with.

Thanks for the poke to update!!!! things are going really really well. I put away 4 containers of eggs. In the beginning, I tried one or two every month. Cannot tell a difference in taste. the only spoiled ones were any with a cracked shell. I have NO floaters. They are all still sinking on the bottom. Its getting to be winter, and there are NOT many eggs happening these days, and so I'm grateful to have a good supply. I started out tasting and smelling every one cracked in a separate dish before adding to whatever I was making. NO smell, no wierd looks or taste. The only recognizable difference is that the yolks break almost instantly, and the whites are a little watery. But, made into a scramble, muffins, a quiche, or any other similar fashion, you'd never know the difference. I don't give them out, and I only take them out of the water when they're to be used instantly. I give them a quick rinse and crack them straight away. The shells are a little bit thinner. I have not had a problem with evaporation. They are in sealed plastic tubs, at room temperature, but not jostled or moved, so haven't had any breakage. I would do again! I will look for a picture of them to post.

An article from 1917 presents the results to a preserving experiment.

This was before we all had refrigerators and the introduction says that refrigerating them is the best and works for 4 to 6 months. the methods that did not use a refrigerator listed Water glass with lime was first and salt was second. The article says it is good for 8 to 10 months but that the eggs deteriorate quickly after that. The lime eggs scored 44 out of 50 for taste.

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=uaes_circulars

Last edited:
Heres the container I used. the hydrated lime settled to the bottom, but didn't seem to affect anything. I used tongs to get the eggs out so I wouldn't contaminate the water.

Attachments

• waterglassing.png
    waterglassing.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 11
I never have extra eggs to put up or I'd try it. I've watched a video about it also. It seems like a great idea for winter, especially if you bake. I assume the fresh flavor would be affected somewhat and am curious to know.

Why? With a refrigerator and a freezer, I'll stick with 'modern' rather than 'pre-electricity'. In the good old days, hens slowed or stopped production over winter, only a few were kept through winter anyway, and eggs were in short supply, unless this actually worked. Now, who needs it?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom