1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone used a coop like this one

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbieschicks, Nov 27, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I purchased it to use as a brooder coop - and wondered if anyone has any experience with this coop? Do I need to do anything to it to make it weather proof or predator proof? I haven't unpackaged it yet. I'm sure I'll find out when I put it together - just hoping to head off any surprizes and have the tools on hand I need. Also hoping I didn't waste my money [​IMG]

Thanks!

Description says:
    "This high quality deluxe chicken poultry coop is suited for chickens or hens and the other small aminals.
    It is crafted with fully treated and grooved wood. The wood surface is coated with a water-based preservative leaving a golden brown finish. The Pawhut chicken coop is strong, and will be a complement to any home or garden. It can hold up to 10 chickens (depending on the size of the birds)."

"Features:
    Sliding access door w/ramp for chickens to enter and exit
    Grilled rear ventilation
    Removable side and bottom sliding pan also allows for easy cleaning access
    Easy assembly (instructions included)
    Dimensions: length: 31.5" width: 48" height: 43"
    Holds up to 8-10 bantams or 4-5 large chickens "

[​IMG]

2. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Who is it made by? I bought one made by Ware. Not at all happy with it, wood was real light like balsa and cracked easy. Cute, but not practical. Pictures are deceiving. Did the nest box come with it and will you need it for a brooder coop? Based on the dimensions I would not even think to have more than two standard chickens. How is your weather and will it suffice? I dont want to be negative, but mine was a waste of money, even though different brand.

3. Dooner

Apr 24, 2011
    Ps:looking at the picture again, I wonder if the width included the nest box?...

4. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    WE had one as our first coop. It will only hold 3 maybe 4 full size girls. We eventually built a new coop ourselves.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    It says "Pawhut" on the ad - I got it off of eBay. I'm certain it was made overseas somewhere due to the pictures that they posted and the nonEnglish writing on the walls in the background of the pictures. And I'm sure it won't be worth the $150 I paid for it in the long run - but I'm hoping it will last a few seasons.

I only plan to use it for a broody hen and chicks - or as an isolation coop for quarantine purposes. I use a tub in my living room for brooder (day 1-week 4) and still have the other side of my big coop as a grow out area for babies (week 4- week 6), but this spring I'm hoping one of my silkies will be a hen and hatch any babies for me - in that case I was going to move the broody hen and her clutch into this coop.

My guess is the diminsions include the nest box area because it looks like a 3x3 square in the pics with an extension for the nest box. If it is only made of balsa wood it won't last long here in the heat and humidity of Virginia. Oh well - I'll find out soon enough when I open the package - it just arrived on Tuesday and I just put the boxes in the shed. But now you've got my interest peeked I may have to break it out and put it together today since the weather is nice right now.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how things go with it.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Did you have to paint the outside or weather proof it?

7. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    I think that would work great for a broody hen, and a containment area. Hope it works out for you..

8. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I use something similar as a transitional coop between the brooder and large coops when chicks are about 5-10 weeks old and it works great for that purpose, kept out of the weather. I've never used it for such, but I think it would make a great broody house as well. [​IMG]

9. Dooner

Apr 24, 2011
    For the use you described, out of the weather and such, especially if you only paid $150 you may be just fine. Mine was $350, out in the weather where it was loosing its finish and would creak and crack each time we would move it. In wisconsin I knewit would not fare well in the winter. I eventually built my own, but kept the other for a quarantine unit.

Quote:

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well - I don't plan to keep it out of the weather so it may end up breaking down and/or leaking - I'll have to see how much weather proofing it will need in the end. I put it together today and I can say "you get what you pay for" with regards to the workmanship. It's better then I could slap together in a short time, but it's rather flimsy and creaking in parts. I doubt it will last more then two seasons. I have to decide where to put it and how to fence it in because it's definitely not predator proof and I am hesitant to nail any hardware cloth into it as I think it would just snap if I hammered too hard.

I wouldn't use it as my main coop as it's too small to hold a load of standard chickens - maybe just 3 hens but that seems tight to me and they would have to have a big run or free range as there's no room in this inn to play. I don't get the roost either - they have two 1x2s running up the sides and both are on their side rather than flat. My chicks prefer to roost on the flat side of 2x4s so they can sit down and cover their feet.

Well the roosting situation won't matter for my purposes because when I use it I will essentially just have it as a big nest box for broody hens or temporary quarantine quarters - so I won't need alot of room anyway.

Here's a few pics of it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by