Has anyone used a Muscovy Hen to brood Call ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Dec 6, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I want to breed lots of Call ducks and I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used Muscovy hens to brood call ducks? If so how did it work out? If not do you think it would work?

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I haven't but I have used Scovy's to hatch chicken eggs. I think they could definitely do it and I plan on trying it in the Spring. Scovys are really good mothers and will sit tightly.

3. smalewaterfowl

smalewaterfowl New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    this works and I have done so with good hatch rates.
    one thing i will caution, add a fake egg or 2 (i use wooden ones) that are bigger than call eggs this way they hens wont break the call eggs.
    what i do is candle them also twice during incubating and then a day or so before hatching i remove them and put them in the incubator.
    i am sure they would hatch fine, I just dont trust the preds up here!

hope this helps.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    most of my muscovy hens are such broodies they would probably hatch snake eggs.

5. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks everyone:D I love Call ducks and I want to breed Grey Calls. But Im not very trusting of incubators or myself [​IMG] So I was thinking of all the natural ways to brood the babies [​IMG] I was thinking of some Silkie hens but I'm not that big of a fan of them [​IMG] but then I saw that muscovy hens are really broody also [​IMG] I love ducks so it was a no brainer [​IMG]

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    YES! I used a friends scovy for some call eggs this past summer. She did a great job at being a surrogate mommie.[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very sweet picture.

8. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] I got to get me one of like that [​IMG] that cute pic is all the proof i need to know that they can do it [​IMG] I know what I want for christmas [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by