Has anyone used a Turn-X incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by feather2, Jan 7, 2009.

1. feather2

feather2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    I can't decide whether to buy the Genesis 1588 with turner or the Turn-X. Is the extra cost for the Turn-X worth it? I love the unobstructed view.

2. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    do you have a link for the turn-x you're looking at? The only one I could find was over $600. For that, you might as well get a Sportsman cabinet incubator.

(I know what you're thinking...I don't need to hatch that many eggs...trust me. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll be wanting to hatch that many eggs in due time.) [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Genesis is great and I've had plenty of worry free successful hatches with mine. So if you don't need to hatch more than 40 eggs at a time, I say save your money and get the Genesis. You can see inside it fine with the two plexiglass panels.

3. feather2

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    The Turn-X7 is $356 at JMT Distributors, but that is still expensive. I guess the 1588 makes more sense. Just liked the ability to convert it to a heated brooder with an additional $27. Thanks

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I use the TX-6 and it is the best tabletop incubator available in my opinion. I have not had experience with the Brinsea and Rcom but the TX-6 is dead on accurate. The temperature hardly varies at all and the simple method of keep the water channels filled is just fantastic. Is it worth the difference in price. I had nothing but problems with the HovaBator. I upgraded to the Top Hatch and found the TX-6 on Ebay and got a great deal on it used. It is so much more durable that the Hovabator. I know people who have used them for upwards of 20 year with only minor repair.

It does not hold nearly as many eggs. You can fit 16 bantam and most likely only 12 standard eggs, depending on size. If you are wanting to hatch large amounts of eggs at one time then there really is no comparison. If you want ease in hatching and keeping the humidity controled at a constant level and temperatures steady then there is not a better option than the TX-6. If large hatchs are your goal I understand the Roll X is great but you can get a sportsman for much less and those are the bomb, I understand.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Have both the sportsman and the turn X. The Turn X is great for small amout of eggs, great for kids to see the hatching.

[​IMG]

These are even used for high dollar eggs like parrots.

If there is a SET IT AND FORGET IT incubator the turn X and Roll X are it.

6. feather2

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    Thank you so much for your input. I am buying the Turn-x today. It has a cool brooder attachment too. I don't have enough land for more than 8 chickens anyway. Love the picture!

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    There were two turn-X on Ebay yesterday, one for under $150 and at had the turner.

I have three turn-X's and I will never own anything else. They are accurate as heck and you never have to open them. Once you set the eggs, you keep it closed for the entire time. The water is adjusted from the bottle on the side. I often get 100% hatches the rest of the time, its about 90%. I have never had anything less than 80% hatch rate.

8. feather2

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    the turner cost over 100.00, I do watch for incubators all the time.

Will past on these , but thinks the one will sell high the last few seconds. good luck

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You would be surprised. I bought all three of mine used on Ebay all for under $200 each. Plus, I also bought a Roll-X, which is the larger of the Lyons and is comparible to hatching quantity as a styrafoam, but far better. The only gripe I have with the roll-X is that I bought the older model, that had the water bottle in the lid and I do not like it as well as the side mound water bottle like my friend has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by