Has anyone used an internet coop-design guide?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JJG81, May 14, 2009.

1. JJG81

JJG81 New Egg

May 13, 2009
    Having lost my flock twice now to foxes I am looking to build something more substantial and secure.
    I've been researching on the internet (and on this forum) and found a few sources of information like http://www.chickenark.org/ and other similar websites through google searching.
    Has anyone used this one or similar? It costs money but I consider it worth it if it helps me build a secure coop and keep out the foxes.
    Any advice?

2. mtcougar832

mtcougar832 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Northwest Montana
    Short answer: no.

Did you look at the coop designs pages? I'm drooling over this one atm.

ETA - Post more specifics and I'm sure you'll get good feedback - this is a great forum! Like how many chickens, what resources you have (build from scratch, convert something, etc.)? Do you have an dog that could frighten away foxes?

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I haven't heard good things about guides. Someone posted about the 'coop design guide' and said it was horrible and they didn't learn anything new from it. Honestly, if you look through the coop pages and also in the coop section in the forum you will lear A LOT. There are also people selling plans on ebay. I have a plan for a 4x6 coop that I won't be using if you're looking for a smaller plan.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm drooling over this one atm.

HOLY! That is an AMAZING coop! [​IMG]

5. JJG81

JJG81 New Egg

May 13, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback all.
    I lost my job recently and am therefore on a tight budget, hence why getting a guide to a build-your-own appealed rather than buying a ready made one. It's for 6 chooks, though main emphasis is on security so using heavy duty wire etc
    I've just realised the one I saw at ChickenArk then links through to a different website so not sure what's happening there.
    Think I'll design my own instead using the forum and free plans and save the money (though I'll probably end up spending it on additional security measures! - I'm trying to create Fort Knox here!)

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  6. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
  7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

We found our coop design on mystorageshed.org....or dot com??
    Here is a pic of what we made...we too lost our 1st flock to foxes/coons [​IMG] ..so built a fort knox coop!!! NOT even a skinny snake can penatrate the walls of this coop!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by