Has anyone used DE mixed with their horse food?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by southernsibe, May 8, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I am interested in using DE as a fly deterrent by mixing it in the horses food. From what I read this seems as though it will work better for me then having the fly predators which is what I have did last year. I think that the DE would kill the FP as well as the flies, but I think over all the DE on it's own will do a better job of controlling the flies.

Any opinions? Thoughts?

Rachel

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Im not sure the DE will control flies but it does worm them. I place it in my chickens feed and where they dust to control lice and mites. I have dusted the horses with it and have added it to their feed before but it didnt seem to work as well as the wormers. Depending on what you use I think citrinella works well for flies and mosquitoes better and last as when the DE gets wet it stops working as well. JMO

3. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    There was another interesting questions posed about DE in coops and construction. I really thought that I would find more people here that could tell me if they had used DE in horse food or not. I worry about it drying the natural moisture in the horse's digestive tract.
    Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by