Has anyone used Dry Stall to keep the coop dry and the odor down?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ady Road Chicks, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    There is a product called Dry Stall (used mostly for equine). I called the manufacturer and asked about using it in a chicken coop and they said it was fine. (Of course they did.) Has anyone here ever used it or anything similar to keep the coop dry and the odor down? You can check it out at www.drystall.com Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:The urban feed store we go to carries a similar product called Stall Dry, http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/AgricultureLivestock.html . They say it's fine to used with poultry. I haven't tried it yet but will soon, now that our rainy season has started.

I have the Stall Dry in my coop. My coop is dry anyways so I'm not sure that it is any better in that respect. And since I have only have between 3 to 5 chickens at any time, I haven't had odor problems, with or without Stall Dry. I think it would work great if either are issues for you. It can be scooped similiar to clumping kitty litter. (I use it in the catbox)
    A couple of negatives are that I miss doing wall to wall cleanings in the coop. The Stall dry just looks messy all the time. And the Stall Dry is very dusty, in itself, not an issue in a coop, but I worry a little about the dust getting into the electical outlets.
    I'm thinking that I'll probably eliminate the Stall Dry as it gets depleted.

Imp

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read on here many times of people using it. I have a bag, don't use it often, but it's handy when things get wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by