has anyone used homeopathy on their chickens?? PTSD?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicchick, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I'm wondering about treating PTSD (post hawk attack) with homeopathy. Anyone ever done this? She is now afraid of the other hens, afraid to be out of her coop. ( Molting too - with the usual pale comb and not laying.) She was not like this before the attack (Dec.2).
    Thanks!

2. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    I once used Echina on CRD chicken when I wasn't able to get medication. it was a minute dose and she did very well!

I wouldn't recommend anything with alcohol in it, but there is a rescue remedy (for shock) that is safe for new born human babies. the main ingredients is chamomile, cherry plum, clematis, impatiens, rock rose and star of bethlehem. If it were my chicken, I would give tiny doses and see what would happen.

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NO EXPERT

I have been a chicken owner for over 2 years now and I grew up around chickens. My grandmother never took a chicken to a vet and treated all ailments at home with homeopathic remedies.

I have successfully treated many ailments with home remedies and have only once required anti-biotics. I m yet to loose a chicken to illness.

3. chicken burger

Dec 12, 2010
    an update? how is your girl doing?

4. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I haven't bought the remedy yet (big snow storm/ snow day, etc) but I did a web site remedy finder and it looks like she'll need sulphur. I just need to figure out the right dose. (We've been using homeopathy and Chinese medicine to keep the human family healthy for years, now)
    But really, since the hawk attack she hates to leave her private coop and the other 3 girls are just too "in her face".
    thanks for asking! I'll try to keep you posted!

5. chicken burger

Dec 12, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've used Rescue Remedy on my chicken and also for my dog and myself.

7. chicken burger

Dec 12, 2010
    Quote:EXCELLENT!!!!! I suspected that rescue remedy would work for chooks too!

8. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    Yes to rescue remedy. Also recommend comfrey via ointment, creme, or salve. Please let us know how your hen is doing. Best of luck!

9. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    In case anyone is interested in using homeopathy I thought I would post this link. It has some good references for using homeopathy for trauma in wildlife. We have used homeopathy with our humans, goats and dogs with great success and wouldn't hesitate it with the new chicks if they needed it.

http://www.ewildagain.org/Homeopathy/wild_orphans.htm

~Shannon

10. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    This is great, Shannon. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by