Has anyone used layer pellets with supplements for chicks? Help appreciated.

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Chick starter is getting hard to come by where I live and more expensive. We have a flock of many chicks, 11 keets, and 2 goslings. My question is has anyone on here successfully fed layer feed to chicks and/or keets and/or goslings with supplements? We have started fermenting are feed to help stretch are feed but I fear of when we run out. Thank you.

You really shouldn't feed layer to chicks, too much calcium, not enough protein.
Where are you in the world? perhaps those in your area can give suggestions.
This ^^
If you can't find chick starter, than All Flock, broiler feed, game bird feed, grower, and flock raiser are all feeds you can give them. If you need higher protein for the other types of poultry (I've never raised them but have seen those types of feed for them typically have higher protein) than you can feed back eggs, or alfalfa to raise protein.

Two threads with the same request.

If push comes to shove, you could fortify an all-flock crumble with nutritional yeast or fish meal. Each have about 50% protein and many of the essential amino acids. A 10:1 mix would be about right.

@U_Stormcrow

Two threads with the same request.

If push comes to shove, you could fortify an all-flock crumble with nutritional yeast or fish meal. Each have about 50% protein and many of the essential amino acids. A 10:1 mix would be about right.

@U_Stormcrow
Purina flock raiser has the niacin for waterfowl (so they claim) so fortifying may not be needed. The price has become an issue and the bag made no mention of keets (that I saw). I agree on tagging Storm. Should get a solid answer.

I grew my last batch of Leghorns like this as an experiment.. using the 17% Dunmor Pellets. Leghorns are the nutrition neediest of breeds. They were my best Leghorns yet..

My Barred Rocks can do well with only corn and grass.. I'd bet you could grow em with cornmeal, if you had them on the ground. So they can eat some grass and bugs.

Rice crispies, fruity peebles, I bet they'd do the job well.

But feeding a layer diet, high in calcium, is a poor idea. And I too like to feed a 20% all flock diet to everyone, with oyster shell on the side.
The Flock Raiser I've been buying for decades is going up in price almost weekly right now, which offends me too. Currently I'm mixing it 50-50 with Dumor's chick starter, which also happens to be fresher than the Flock Raiser.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom