Has anyone used Nasco’s Incubator Kit ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akbufflady, Feb 13, 2008.

1. akbufflady

akbufflady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Hi, I've been a member for just a short while, I've been reading as much on here as I can and have learned a lot especially about incubating. I may be new to this site but not new to hens & roos. I've just never hatched my own. Seems my hens aren't reliable sitters, will sit a few days or a week or so then leave the nest never to return.

I feel I am now ready to make the jump to hatching our own eggs.

I have been searching for a reasonably priced incubator and have found many plans to make our own. Hubby is willing to build one if I can't find one that is reliable for the money.

This one seems to have all the bells and whistles, even has egg turner. www.enasco.com
    Product Number: C17015N

Any info on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sheila

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is a hova bator made by GQF manufacturing .

I suggest the Hova Bator 1588 if you are going to buy something to start out with. If it is in your budget get a turner. If not you can hand turn. It isn't required.

Edited to add - the 1588 has a set thermostat. No fiddling around and fooling with a knob to set the temps.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  3. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Welcome to the board,

Depending on how much it costs to ship it in, that is a good deal. You will still need to get an accurate thermometer and hydrometer. I know at AK feed Co. that the still airs are almost that much. I have a hovabator with a fan and have had some great hatches with it. The biggest problem I have ran into is humidity issues. I had great hatches last winter on shipped eggs but last spring... I couldn't get the humidity up for anything, even my setting hens were having issues.

A lot of people like the Bower top hatch like this one and they are suppose to be really easy to use.: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brower-TopHatch...ryZ66905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is suppose to have a more reliable hatch rate, be much easier to clean and sanitize and you don't have to remove the turner on day 18.

Many companies offer free shipping in the lower 48, I often have items sent to our family outside and then I pay to have it sent up.

Are you on the Alaska Domestic Waterfowl & Poultry yahoo group yet? If you would like some links to yahoo groups in state, just PM me. There are some folks up here that have a lot of knowledge specific to our hatching season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by