Has anyone used NiteGuard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Urbanfarmerkc, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    We have an ongoing issue with coons and possums and cats and so forth and so on so I wondered if anyone has used NiteGuard and had any success with it? I know Stromburgs sells it.

Dave

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea the coons love it! They show the coons where the birds are and gives them light to dine by. Just set up a electric fence and then if a coon hits it hard he can light his own way home

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are a number of threads in here about it. Some do say they work but I think more say they do not. I never tried one.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree with both the above posts. I've never tried the Nite Guard, I guess I just don't have much faith in a light really having that much effect, BUT I have heard folks say it works for them. For myself, I just have some strategically placed strands of hot wire around the coop and run. Pretty much takes care of everything you mentioned in your posts and a lot more.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I night hunt I use a red light to give me a better shot the animals never notice the light I am shining in their eyes most animals are color blind too

6. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Not to hijack the thread but aprophet your avatar cracks me up...

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 on order as well as a few more live traps.. so time will tell

8. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Bryan,

You are funny... I have tried lots of things but living in the city, we have the worst coon and possum problem. I don't think anything really SCARES them other than going without food for 2 hours...

I think I'll not invest in those but if anyone HAS had luck, please let me know.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by