has anyone used or heard of this kind of heater?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by onthespot, Nov 23, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Most chickens in most winter situations don't even need any supplemental heat, but even in those situations where supplemental heat is needed or helpful, you don't have to heat the whole coop. Just providing some additional warmth in one area should work ok, just like when you set up a brooder for chicks.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Most chickens in most winter situations don't even need any supplemental heat, but even in those situations where supplemental heat is needed or helpful, you don't have to heat the whole coop. Just providing some additional warmth in one area should work ok, just like when you set up a brooder for chicks.

After spending over a thousand dollars to insulate my coop and make it livable for my chickens during the winter, this last winter (2009-2010) was the first time I had ZERO losses due to cold since 2005. [​IMG] I have rare breeds (bantams & crested especially) that do not survive -25 with wind howling and wet snow. I used to have losses due to frostbite (feet would fall off) and losses due to extreme temps.

In the last two days, I have upped their feed (to include whole corn and lots of wheat), locked them inside the coop and turned on their heat lamp. So far, so good.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Of course, that's a different matter! Cold sensitive breeds plus extreme low temps. Yikes.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Of course, that's a different matter! Cold sensitive breeds plus extreme low temps. Yikes.

Yeah. I have completely given up on bantam faverolles. If they don't die from cold, the 100+ degrees in the summer gets them every time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by