Has anyone used the "Eglu" or "Eglu Cube" for a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peaches, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Peaches

Peaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    I need a replacement for my chicken tractor and although the cube is expensive, I MIGHT go for it, but worry about babies climbing the ladder up. The smaller original Eglu might also work, but I'd love to hear from someone who has one. I use this for chicks, Standard birds who might need to be separate due to illness, maybe even ducks.

http://www.omlet.us/products_services/products_services.php

2. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    I have a blue eglu and really like it. There are some new posts about it on my blog www.exhibitionpoultry.wordpress.com

I recomend it more than anything else, can never really beak but I did take my run off of the eglu coop and I lost the stuff to atach it and the clips broke after a few years.

[​IMG]

3. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an original Eglu and I LOVE it. Here are a couple of shots of both.

The Eglu before the girls arrived.
    [​IMG]

The Eglu looking a bit like an igloo during a tough New England winter..........
    [​IMG]

My new cube, just waiting to be moved to our new home before attaching the run.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    [​IMG] Oh that is great to find someone who actually has these. Ok, re; the cube here is my BIG question.. that gang plank looks like it is hanging in thin air and also like it would be slippery. I use my "ark" for sick chickens, setting ducks, and baby chicks - it doesn't look like they could make it up.

any thoughts on this?

5. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Oh! one more thing Angels4 - how BIG is the door way.. can a big standard breed fit ok?

6. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

The ladder does just sort of stop, but it is rather close to the ground, the ladder itself had little raised dots (egg shaped) for traction. I'll try and get some close up shots in the light of day on Sunday. I'll also measure the opening.
    I know of some folks on OmletUK who keep Buff Orpingtons in the cube and they fit through the door just fine. I haven't yet moved my girls into the cube, that won't happen until the attached run arrives.

For sick or injured chickens/duck, I would suggest the original eglu (which has no ladder) vs the cube. Until recently I was planning on keeping the original for that purpose after the cube arrived.

Check out the OmletUK forum @ www.omlet.com

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  7. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Hi did you get any of the close up pics yet? I'm still considering the cube.. plus.. how big is the entrance hole.. I have some big cochins.

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I was looking at it but for the price, I just bought some tools, jigsaw and drill, and built one from used wood. I didn't even know if I'd like chickens so I didn't want to get a big expensive coop. If you can afford it and don't have the time or energy for building your own, I think it's a great coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by