Has anyone used this for bug control?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stanglover2001, Jul 3, 2010.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    I bought a bag of EcoSMART from Home Depot because it says it is safe around pets and children, the main ingredients are peanut shells and wintergreen oil, and small percentages of thyme oil and eugonol. When I went to their website to inspect more about it they said that it targets only insects and that its safe for the environment and won't harm mammals, birds and fish. The website also said all the ingredients are FDA safe and have been used in food/beverages and there is no toxic residue like regular pesticides.

It kills insects by getting under the exoskeleton and block the octopamine neuroreceptors with natural plant oils.

http://www.ecosmart.com/category/learn/

I've included the website so if you want to learn more you can, I'm going to use it and let everyone know how it goes! Let me know what you think!

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

3. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    So went ahead and spread the ecosmart stuff, I use the bagged granules not any spray btw... so far soo good, the chickens didn't seem to mind the wintergreen scent. We'll check in a couple days to see if there is any bugs inside the coop, which is why we needed it in the first place. [​IMG]
    I recommend spreading it with gloves on, the scent is really strong!
    I will be monitoring my chickens really closely for the next week to see if any issues arise but I don't think there will be any. I didn't put a lot but hopefully enough to kill all the darn bugs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by