Has anyone used this solar power light for your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fifistamps, Oct 30, 2013.

1. fifistamps

fifistamps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
  2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have power in the coop but for those that don't that doesn't look like a half bad idea.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That looks pretty cool! i don't use lights for my birds, i let nature guide it but i think it would be great for emergency night checks and those early dark evenings in winter.

4. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    very cool. How much do they want for it?

5. fifistamps

Apr 12, 2013
    I just ordered it to give it a go, I will let you know how it works out. It was $47 on amazon. It has a sensor to come on at dusk. Fingers crossed because it will be a couple hundred bucks to run power to the coop.

6. joan1708

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    This stuff is expensive, isn't it? I just bought a good 50 ft extension cord for $80.00. It is to keep a small kumquat tree from freezing this winter. I'm going to hook it to a thermcube, then old timey christmas lights. We will see if it works or not.
    [​IMG]
    For the coop, it would be great the have that light! I had an electrician come install a motion sensor light close to my coop. (Don't remember how much that was but not cheap) The stupid thing works about 1/2 the time. so, I have to take a flash light out there with me all the time. I did get a flash light from Costco that has a charger you plug into the wall. It helps to know where the flash light is and that it is charged.

7. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Joan, off topic, but you might want to put up some plastic over that just to reflect some of the bulb heat. I live just south of dallas and recorded temps of 17 degrees one night each of the last two years and a low of 9 degrees once at my house about 7 years ago.

8. joan1708

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I do have a frost cloth to put over it (Agribon-50)! I plan on making a frame around the tree and will snap the frost cloth to the frame when we get those cold snaps. That will hold in some of the heat. I'm on a hill, so I don't have a "frost pocket" issue. The brick wall and rain barrel should hold some heat as well as give it pretty good wind protection (south east facing wall). I'm counting on this "micro-climate". I will be sooooo bummed if this doesn't work.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  9. Rawben

Rawben New Egg

Sep 24, 2009
    I'd like an update on how this solar light worked for you.

I read on another site to use rope lights. I picked up a cord of them at Lowe's for $19.99. They put out much better light than the solar rope lights are Harbor Freight. But, I'm at a standstill on the solar panel. Harbor Freights solar panels are either too small or too large. I've found a few on eBay that will work and are less than $40 if my memory is correct. LOL

But, I'll need a timer as we don't want light on 24/7 in the hen house - we just need light for a few hours to supplement.

Thoughts? Update? My egg production has reduced in half so far this month. I do have the ability to run an extension cord, but I'd rather go solar for the long term.

10. fifistamps

Apr 12, 2013
    Well things have not worked out as planned. The first remote I received was broken so the light would come on in the low setting at dusk (the girls were already settled in on the roost for the night) and it stayed on all night. Not what I was wanting

Then I got a new remote and turned it on manually around 4pm in the high setting, much brighter and it only lasted a couple of hours. The problem is the battery will not recharge on a grey day, which is all winter here. It won't provide the consistent light I need. I decided just to leave it up and use it when I need extra light to see what I am doing in the shed.

Power is a real problem. The coop is over 100ft away from the house. I would need some heavy duty extension cords (to avoid risk of fire) that would cost almost as much as hard wiring it in. We also have an invisible dog fence that might be affected by running power to the coop. In the meantime, my water is freezing every night and has to be switched every am.

I'm thinking about giving the girls the winter off and maybe wiring power next year. I ate a store bought egg the other day, not good. I am so spoiled now. Let me know how your lights work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by