Has anyone used this thermometer/hygrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GreenGoddess, Jan 4, 2011.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu83/minisplitshop/hygrometer.jpg

I
    ordered this because I was not too happy with the $7 thermometer/hygrometer from wal-mart... It was way off and I had to keep remembering to add to the humidity it displayed and subtract from the temp! It go pretty confusing at times... I saw a few of the places that sold incubators selling this one (under their own name of course) and wanted to see if anyone has used it and if they like it.. It was only $3 more than the wal-mart one and you can stick it to the side of the incubator at egg level instead of laying it right on the eggs...

Goddess [​IMG]

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    not to accurate, it can go +/- 2 degrees, I've got one, plus you need to shut it off or it go through batteries really fast

I use this, it doesn't have the hydro, but is very accurate

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    UGH! I was hoping not to hear that.. I mean, I will be calibrating it before i use it so i guess I will just make sure to keep a few extra batteries on hand and change them out once a week.. It will be more of a pain that way but at least then I can make sure it's accurate with the difference i have to + or -... The temp will be pretty easy to calibrate.. I have two digital thermometers in the house and they are only .3 degrees difference between them so i will just + or - to make the temp between them since i can't stick it in ice water... I can also take the hygrometer from outside and put it in the bator too... I figured for $10, it was worth a try...

I actually did look at the one you have but it didn't have the hygrometer so i didn't get it.. I can get a cheap thermometer from anywhere but the hygrometers are more pricey and harder to find.. I could always use an oral thermometer inside a fake egg filled with something like hair gel or as someone had posted, play dough.. but knowing the humidity is a bit trickier...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Hmmm...what one from Walmart did you use? I bought 2 different hydrometers with temp. One was around $7 and the other was $8 or $9. The $9 one was more accurate.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:the thermometer is much more important then the hydro, I have a sportsman the hydo I use is the one that sticks in a lizard cage, $6 unless you get it wet ( I accidentally dunked it ) it works great (I did check it)

6. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:It was the Springfield digital thermometer/hygrometer.. When i went to walkmart I didn't see one that was close to the price.. Everything else was $18 and up.. Perhaps they were out when I went..

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by