Has anyone's duck came back to visit after voluntary leaving you?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover9138, Jun 5, 2011.

1. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi, just wondering if anyone had ducks that flew away, but came back to visit sometimes.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, when my sister was a college student and then just out of college, she worked for the Department of Natural Resources at one of the state parks as an assistant naturalist. People brought a lot of injured and "orphaned" wildlife in to the park, and she and several other employees would take them home and rehabilitate them. One of the animals brought in was a roughly day old wood duck that was the only survivor of duck family vs vehicle on a busy highway. We raised it for about 10 weeks, and then took it back to the park and released it. It was actually quite people-oriented, which in hindsightwas probably NOT a good idea. Figured we'd never see it again. Well, about 2 weeks later, it came back, showed up in our back yard, perched in an oak tree and them came down to visit and be fed. She stayed around on and off for a while until just before freeze up. It then came back the following autumn as well for a while, and IIRC again the next year for just a few days -- this was back in the 1970s and I was about junior high age, so I don't remember all of the particulars.

3. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Thank you for your help and insight. At least I know I might see them in the future. I sincerely believed they were gone and I wouldn't never see them again.

Two of my ducks came back minutes ago. It was quacking in the dark. I had to get a flash light and almost fell into the stream trying to help them. -.-

Do you think they were attacked and thats why they came back? I called for them for 15 minutes and checked every hour to see if they were back for at least several hours. Nothing. They did get into the habit of sleeping outside, but if I saw them (which I did every time for weeks), I would shoo them back in their "fortress". I am kind of shocked that something like this has happened. If they were around, I can't believe they didn't even answer and ran back in the middle of the night. I am just very confused.

4. MamaBulla

MamaBulla Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Cabarrus County, NC
    Would you mind sharing what kinds of ducks they were? I have been wondering if mine would stay put or end up flying off at some point. I have 2 pekins, which I understand do not fly at all. Then I have a cayuga, a magpie and a khaki campbell.

Thanks for sharing!

5. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    A few years ago i found a Canadian goose nest on the river that had been destroyed by a coon,but there was still 3 eggs intact so i took them home and put them in the bator.They all hatched and were imprinted on me,when fall came around they just flew off and joined a wild flock flying over.They have returned the last 2 springs(with new mates)and raised there family here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by