1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has Back Yard Chickens Emergencies forum saved your chicken's life?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zowieyellowflame, Nov 10, 2009.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I was just thinking about how hard it would have been for my mom, raising pet chickens when I was a kid. Who in the world would a person talk to if suddenly their chickens head appeared to be on backwards? (as in the case of my wry neck barred rock, Rye) I was just about to have her culled and then I posted the situation and within a couple hours I had hopeful suggestions. She is not totally out of the woods but she is back with the flock, fighting for food, roost space or whatever.
    I also saved a day old chick with spraddle leg thanks to this site. ("Red") Not to mention all I have learned for future use should any other birds become injured or ill.
    What has this forum and the people on it done for you?

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I think the biggest thing this particular part of the forum has done for me, is I am better prepared and remain calm when something happens. I feel more confident about making decisions regarding the health of my birds. Injuries don't freak me out nearly as much as they used to. (thanks to everyone who posts pictures.) I think there is almost nothing I have not seen. I almost think I could do bumblefoot surgery if I needed to. Almost. I could definately assist and tell my husband what to do, just not sure if I could make that first cut. I also feel comfort in knowing that I can come here for advice if I need it.

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I am still treating her, but my hen, Paris, would not be alive if not for the excellent, caring advice I've gotten here.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I learned on here how to give a chicken a shot - and what the proper dosage of the medication I needed was.

saved a few chickens with that.

meri

5. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not sure if a chicken has been saved, but I sure know that I have been from worry !!!! I also remain very calm and cool when something happens now.

6. Brodes

Brodes Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mount Desert, Maine
    Oh yeah and how!

We just operated on an impacted crop a couple of nights ago on one of our Light Brahma's and she seems to be doing very well. We would have never even tried it if not for the helpful and caring people on this site who think enough to document and even photograph step by step instructions on such an undertaking.

Thank you everyone.

Our family

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've treated my chickens for bumblefoot,lice,wounds, fowl pox and wormed them, all on the excellent advice and know how from all the wonderful people in this forum. I've learned alot and am able to pass this knowledge onto others. I now look at culling a chicken as a last resort without panic, knowing I have plenty of backup and support. MANY THANKS!!

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I would have given up on my young hen if not for the encouragement i was given here. She got stuck and had a dislocated "knee" it took her several weeks but now is just fine and my son named her Lucy. She now lives on my front porch and yard as she is afraid of the rest of the flock and especially the roo. Next step is making her and a friend a new coop. The people who own the barn next door have a huge white meat bird they saved after he fell off the truck from the nearby operation, he has taking a shinin to Lucy and regularly makes his way up here to keep her company.

And the other thing is same as mentioned above. after reading so many posts I feel more comfortable that I have knowledge of things if they arise.

9. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. It was a costly and a long drawn out battle against Coryza, but we saved over 75% of the flock and still have the original hens with no further indications of the disease. We have also increased the flock w/o complications.
    Thanks to Gumpsgirl!

10. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I'd say it has helped me be a better chicken guardian, so yes.

BTW - it's probably saved me from a heart attack though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by