Has/Does Anyone use..?

ChickyLove

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Springfield, MA.
PVC coated galvanized steel wire mesh in building their coops? If so, what are the advantages? I have three, nearly four week old chickens and need to get my coop up pretty darned quick. Had NO idea they would get this big so fast and I'm thinking the brooder won't hold them for long. We live in New England and the winters are pretty harsh. Has anyone ever done double walls with insulation for a coop? Pressure treated wood or no?
barnie.gif
he.gif
Building on a budget, but want to make sure the construction is sound and I can physically walk into the run area for cleaning etc. SO confuzzled and feeling out of my element right now but determined to make it go! Thanks so much for your patience and help!!
smile.png

The plastic coating on wire crumbles with sun and age. Wouldn't want my chickens to eat it. I used treated lumber for my entire coop and run. Worked out perfectly.

Thankyou!! Would you suggest for mesh attachment to the lumber something like galvanized uniform 20 gauge, 1" hex wire? We don't get predators such as larger creatures, but we do get hawks, raccoons, neighborhood cats and possums and skunks.

pvc coated is good it won't rust. But maybe it hasn't been up long enough to have the pvc crumble.

Chickens are pretty cold hardy, mine in Michigan do ok without insulation, but I have large breed chickens.

I know chemically treated wood is not supposed to be a good idea.

There are lots of ideas in the coop design section, but I know so may options can seem overwhelming.

If you are feeling the time pressure, maybe you work on their run first and have a place to put them during the day and still put them to "bed" in side the garage or something in a dog crate or really big cardboard box with a big screen on top until you get the whole coop done.

Last edited:
Quote:
my chickens had no insulation, no heat and survived our 30 degrees below Fahrenheit. my large breeds and the silkie colony. just lots of ventilation.

We get racoons, skunks, possums and hawks. I used 1/2" welded Covered the run top with sides buried in concrete. Treated lumber is no longer treated with arsenic as in old days. Safe to use now. Have had chickens for 4.5 years. None of my flock has ever gotten sick from it. You can visit my BYC page to see how it was put together if you like. I live in California so insulation was not necessary.

Lightfoot - I have friends who live in Minnesota and they say it gets extremely cold, just like you just said! If your chickens can survive that, then I'm sure mine can survive 13 above. LOL! Thanks for easing my mind!

Back
Top Bottom