Has my Hen gone Broody???????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mourningdove, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi everyoone!!!!! I am so hopeful right now [​IMG] Alittle while back I had asked a question here about 1 of my 2 game hens setting eggs. My question was if I leave eggs in the nest would 1 of them go to set?
    Answer to me was YES!!!!!!! So since then I would collect their eggs and bring them in the house and let them accumulate on my counter mainly to keep them from freezing! Anyway I marked them yesterday with the date and put them all in 1 box. I just went outside to spend time with my babies and noticed 1 of the hens on the nest of eggs, so I just watched her awhile, she came off the nest for about 10 minutes, she ate & drank water then I noticed her gone again, I noticed she was back on the nest [​IMG] So is it safe to assume she's gone broody? Sorry to ask but this is new for me so [​IMG]
    [​IMG] she is! [​IMG] This forum is great!

2. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I don't know. I tried that same thing but my dog keeps eating them... Let us know if they hatch

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    the nest is inside a closed pen so no dogs can get inside!

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Certainly sounds like she's at least trying it out. I hope she sticks with it!

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been wondering the same thing.. broody is my next search keyword. I've got a black orp hen who two weeks ago started getting REALLY upset that we were colleting eggs... she exhibits all the broody symptoms so I guess she is. My question is how long will she keep this up for? Am I too late to give her some eggs to try and hatch? It's been too cold to let her start before... will she just sit until we break her of it or she gets some chicks?

we keep taking her off the nest but I could set her up and let her start a clutch on Sunday....

6. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    My OE banty went broody, and makes a GREAT incubator! She is on her 3rd batch of eggs (day 20) now...

she lives in the house in her own little "broody box", and LOVES the attention and pampering! She is doing WAY better in here than when she was being picked on, pecked and trampled in the coop!

If she stays on the nest , and doesn't get up or run when you come near-- she is probably broody!

Our gal (Skooter) stays on the nest unless I come in with fresh water or snacks-- she OFTEN gets them "in bed" so waits to see where I'm going with them! LOL!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  7. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:mine won't leave unless I pry her rigid body from the depth of the nest box all the while screaming at me like a wildcat!! When I set her down.. she doesn't move!! She just stays there still setting like a statue! I have to bribe her with seeds or corn to get her to snap out of it!

So I'm going to set her up this weekend then!

8. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:It will be safe to say she is when she stays with it day and night for 3 or 4 days in a roll.
    And when She will puff up and scream at you that's a good sign she is.

9. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Seems to me that if she doesnt want you messing with her, or her nest she'd be broody.

10. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    yup! Definitely broody!

Some of them freeze unless put back on the nest, or will act "hurt" to lure you away from the eggs! LMAO!

Rember tho-- once separated from the flock, she'll have to be re-introduced, or kept as an incubator!

Skooter took to CROWING like a Roo after the last batch of eggs hatched and we took the babies as they hatched... so we gave her more eggs-- took her a few hours, but took right to em!

The folks here said that is common, and an article I read talked about some females that will actually not only "take over" as "the Roo" if there are no males, but on RARE occasions, their ovaries stop producing eggs, and they become hormonally Male!

Too Weird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by