Has my hen's crop stopped working??? HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prncs13, Jun 26, 2010.

1. prncs13

prncs13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    I have a Production Red named Titleist and she is 3. She has stopped eating. She had what felt like an impacted crop so I did the massaging and it seemed to break up some stuff and move it along. She went to the vet on Monday and had some bacteria in her crop so we started Tetra, she didn't seem better so back to the vet on Friday and the bacteria was gone but now yeast so we started her on Nystatin and she has had 2 doses Friday and one so far today. She is not better. We have been forcing feeding her porridge with ACV, molasses and yogurt to make sure she has food and I am massaging her crop. The crop feels like a balloon with sand as someone said in another post. It is not getting bigger so I don't know if some stuff is getting through. She had been drinking water but I don't see her drinking any now so we are going to give her water soon and then she gets more Nystatin tonight. She is getting so weak. I am so afraid she is going to die. This has been going on since the 16th. In the beginning I could get her to eat some strawberries but she has no interest. I'm going to try and call the vet tomorrow. She mentioned something about a motility drug to help her crop maybe.

Is there anything else I can do? Do I keep massaging, how often? I am at a total loss.

Please help.
    Michelle

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Olive oil soaked bread... Daily massages.. MOistened feed.. Tahts about all i an think about ATM good luck

3. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    We tried everything. Unfortunately she passed on Saturday night. I'm waiting for the vet to call to see if she wants to do an autopsy.

Titleist will be greatly missed.

M

4. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So Sorry to hear about your bird. I had the same problem with my Bantam Cochin and hers was really big. I could feel all the seed in there, but I could also feel a lot of hard spots. I massaged it and gave her the oil and the butter. I tried to get her to bring it up. Nothing was helping. I read on BYC of a guy that actually removed the gunk surgically so last night that is what I did. See my new post for a picture of what I took out. (She is alive and doing well today)

Thanks,
    Teresa

5. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    I don't think I would have been able to do surgery. Her crop wasn't huge and myself and the vet couldn't feel any blockages. I think her crop may have just stopped working all together. We were going to try a drug that makes the crop contract but she died before we could try that. The vet going on vacation slowed the medical attention that she received but I was doing everything that was suggested on the forums. I am just at a loss.

I'm glad your baby did better.

M

6. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    The autopsy is done. She had yolk peritonitis which basically is she probably internally laid and then it messed up her intestines and caused a blockage. Her crop was working fine, the problem was lower. There wasn't anything we could do. I just wish I had put her to sleep instead of letting it go on. I just didn't know. I'm going to bury her with her sisters on a beautiful hillside. At least it is not a disease that is going through my coop.

M

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry to hear of your loss.. I am glad that it wasnt something contagious....

8. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    Thank you for all the support everyone.
    M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by