1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has "Nigella" started laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steveg144, Jan 27, 2011.

1. steveg144

steveg144 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    So about a month ago, "Camilla" and "Nigella" wandered onto the place. No idea where they came from, refugees from the snowstorms I guess. Thanks to google pix plus this forum, we've ID'd Camilla as a Leghorn and Nigella as an Austrolorps. So, to my puzzlement ...

Camilla's been popping out an egg a day almost since she got here. Old reliable. Pure white eggs, which apparently is what you'd expect from a Leghorn. Nothing from Nigella, but today I check the coop and a) there is no white egg, but there IS a medium-brown one! Now, I just read somewhere that a particular chicken can only lay one color egg, their entire life? So we know that Camilla's are white, without fail. So I'm having to assume that Nigella has finally started laying? Maybe because the weather's gotten warmer? Not sure whether to go out and give her a high-wing and say "Awwwwright, Nigella!!!" or hug her and say "That's OK, honey, we still like you cause you eat lotsa bugs even though you don't make eggs." :)

Am I right in my assumption?

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My chicken named Nigella lays brown eggs, hahaha!

And on that note, a chickens egg really doesn't change colour as it lays - so your Leghorn isn't laying it. Congratulations!!!

3. steveg144

steveg144 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Woo hoo! Extra BOSS for Nigella for dinner tonite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by