Has PeanutButter Been Abducted by ALIENS?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Branumdragon, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Branumdragon

Branumdragon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    If you see this, HELP!

I am completely perplexed as to what has happened to my chicken.

My coop is a little, chicken-tractor type. . . thing with a flap on the side (for collecting eggs) and a small, sliding flap door for the chickens to move through. Last night, two of my four hens (Puddle and Izzy) had gone through the door, and apparently knocked it closed, leaving the others (PeanutButter and Willow) stranded outside. I went out to close them in, and saw two chickens outside the door and the others missing. I managed to, after much pacing and freaking out, find all four and close them in.

If you're wondering, no, that is not the weird part.

Next day (today), I managed to forget about them (sorry, school and other stuff) and not let them out until about 1 in the afternoon.
    PeanutButter, the escape artist chicken, (How do I keep her in the yard? and Custom Nest Box?) was missing.

I am completely perplexed. Could she have shoved open the swinging door and escaped? (it was closed at 1 in the afternoon.) Has she been abducted by aliens? Could some predator have gotten in and eaten her?!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. Branumdragon

Jan 6, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    [​IMG]

3. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Is there a latch or does it just swing open? If there's no latch, something like a raccoon probably opened the door and grabbed her. Hope you find her, but I'd make sure to secure your coop because once a predator finds a way in, they will keep coming back. [​IMG]

4. Branumdragon

Jan 6, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    The door doesn't latch, but it was closed, the mess on the bottom of the coop was untouched, there's no blood, no more feathers than there were before (PeanutButter was/is molting), and the rest of the chickens are completely unharmed. If you can explain all of that with raccoons, I'll accept that explanation. It just doesn't seem to me like a predator like a raccoon would take one chicken but not the rest.

5. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Yes a predator can take just one bird and not leave a mess. When chickens are sleeping, they don't have their wits about them to even struggle. I would definitely secure your coop door, just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by