Has She Gone Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lonelychicken, Sep 28, 2012.

1. lonelychicken

lonelychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Ella is 6 months old and has been laying an egg every day and a half until this week and she has laid an egg every day - yesterday I noticed she was on the nest every time I went to check the hen house and finaly about 5pm there was an egg under there. Took the egg, she was not pleased. lol

Well today she has been on the nest all day and not one egg. I have a medium sized chicken crate with a wire bottom - I stuck a feeder and water in there and removed her from the nest. She was not pleased! and put her in this crate, as recommended on the forum.

I think the recommended time frame was 5 days? could someone confirm that for me?

can I let her outside during the day and just block them from the hen house during the day? and put her back in the crate for over nite?

For some reason I did not think they would go broody so young - but I did not want to wait to be sure - so just crated her this evening. Did I tell you she was not pleased??? lol

Is there any other reason she would be on that darn nest for 12 hours and not produce an egg today when she did yesterday?

Thanks - you guys are the best help

Gail

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Yes this chick is broody. What breed is she? Some hens will go broody earlier and more often depending on the breed.

1 person likes this.
  3. lonelychicken

Jul 17, 2012
    she is a blue cochin

[​IMG]

4. Big A Chickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    She was probably preparing a clutch to hatch and you took them not knowing that she was going to go broody. When she lays the last one that is when they decide to set.

5. Big A Chickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Cochins usually go broody pretty frequently!!!!

6. lonelychicken

Jul 17, 2012
    So do I just keep a diligent watch for her to be on the nest? and put her in solitary each time?

and how long should a hen be on a nest as a general rule of thumb?

Can I let her have time outside during the day or will she just try and nest in the grass of her pen?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Personally I don't consider them broody until they spend the night on the nest for a few nights. I've had plenty of hens just hang out in the nest boxes and not be broody. They still lay, etc. I'd let her outside, etc unless she really is persistent about setting. Suspending her in a wire cage for a few days can work, this prevents the temperature under her from getting high and helps kick the broody hormones out from her brain.

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I love my two little Cochin girls. The are the best brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by