Has the city come to inspect your coop??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MamaManda, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    We just built our new coop. We have NO construction experience. We knew buildings had to be under 120 sq. ft. and 8 feet tall to not need a permit. So, that's what we planned. Turns out we didn't account for the 2x4 top plate that a friend strongly recommended, and the extra 2 layers of 2x4's that need to be laid under cedar shakes for air flow. Now our coop is 8' 6". [​IMG]

We have a neighbor that is in everyone's business. The coop sits 3 feet off the chain link fence that separates our yards. We have only lived here for 3 months, and have ONLY been sweet and polite when she is nosy. BUT, we're worried she'll turn us in. We spent SO much time and money on our Chicky Mansion, I am terrified of someone coming to tell us it has to be changed/taken down. Also, we have a chain link fence that backs a park. Our backyard is very visible from the street...the neighbor wouldn't even have to complain. Someone from the city could drive by and see it. What are my chances? Is t he city on top of things like this????? [​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    What are your city's laws/ordinances for having and raising chickens? Are you in full compliance? If you have already read up on everything and you are in compliance with having chickens in your area, then you should be ok. If you haven't researched, then you may be a little worried.

3. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    Quote:We do not have a limit on the number of hens, but no roosters allowed. (I have a 12 week old roo that was supposed to be a hen) It is unbelievably hard to find local chicken laws here. The City of Vancouver's website just says what I just mentioned and "Noise and Odor complaints apply." . As far as the coop, we adhered to the same laws for sheds, playhouses and outbuildings, since nothing could be found anywhere, and no one at the PD could find any specific laws pertaining to coops. (Contrary to some reports here on BYC for Vancouver)

I'm curious how strict cities have been on size requirements...if I'm a few inches over and that's the only compliancy issue, what are the chances they make me 'remodel'?

4. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    If you built without a permit, because you didn't need one, they won't inspect unless there is a complaint. Most people can't tell the difference just by looking at 8' or 8'6". Just relax and keep it from becoming a nuisance and you will fine.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You could also set the coop into the ground by the 6 or 8 inches needed. Lot of work, but then you are definitely in compliance. A 3' setback is pretty small.

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I know some places the coop must be 10'(some places 25') or a certain distance away from any neighboring fences. Might want to keep that in mind too as your coop is only 3' from the neighbors, not sure of the laws in your area though.

7. flyingtnh

flyingtnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Tactical Deception: Paint an artsy flood measuring stick on the side that goes to just under 8' (but , mark each inch tick a bit long - 1.075" would do it).

Here's a metric version of what I'm talking about
    [​IMG]

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    When we built our coop we checked the building laws in our area and planned to make a building 10' by 12' without having to obtain a permit. My SO went into city hall and purposed his plan, they told him no permit was needed (we also are no suppose to have chickens here anymore so this was a "shed" to the city). We began building and the housing inspector sends us a letter telling us we needed a permit. He goes back to city hall and says WTH you guys told me I didn't need a permit and now I do. He left again when they told him once again nope we were wrong, you don't need a permit. Few weeks later after we built the floor, walls, roof, ect they send us a letter telling us we need to move the darn thing 10 freaking feet away from OUR chainlink fence! We own 4 ft of land beyond the fence and the coop was built approx 5 ft away from the fence. We were told it needed to move 11 ft towards the house so it was a total of 20 ft from the neighbors property line. Luckily my SO built the coop on skids so we could take it with us if we ever moved. It was still a royal pain to hook up a chain to one of the trees to pull the thing that far forward, we could have used our truck but that would have ripped up the lawn pretty good and in order to drive back there you would have to drive over the septic/drain field area which is NOT reccomended. When all was said and done we were told there would be a final inspection just to make sure we are compliant to their requests so then I had to make arrangements for my loudest birds to take a hike for a week while the inspection took place. The inspector never did show up and we never heard from them again. Talk about STRESSED OUT! Since then the sherriff (who is animal control) has been in our yard around our birds a few times looking for a local drug addict who has been robbing peoples houses via crawling in doggy doors. He has not uttered a word about the birds and doesn't seem to mind that we have them. Everyone around here adores them, and they are completely contained in our backyard as well as having a large run and a pretty nice coop. The compost we make from their bedding/droppings is shared with the neighbors to use in their gardens as well as our own and alot of folks come to me for eggs so it's a win win for all [​IMG]

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:We do not have a limit on the number of hens, but no roosters allowed. (I have a 12 week old roo that was supposed to be a hen) It is unbelievably hard to find local chicken laws here. The City of Vancouver's website just says what I just mentioned and "Noise and Odor complaints apply." . As far as the coop, we adhered to the same laws for sheds, playhouses and outbuildings, since nothing could be found anywhere, and no one at the PD could find any specific laws pertaining to coops. (Contrary to some reports here on BYC for Vancouver)

I'm curious how strict cities have been on size requirements...if I'm a few inches over and that's the only compliancy issue, what are the chances they make me 'remodel'?

I am in New Brunswick. I just heard through the grape vine that the mayor has received a few letters regarding the possible smell issue when the warm weather comes about. I am so angry right now I could cry. I am too angry to cry. I have spent hours and hours reading bylaws (so boring) only to find that our village ''facilitates agricultural growth"

I see nothing about numbers of chickens, no roosters allowed or anything to the sort! [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

I am in New Brunswick. I just heard through the grape vine that the mayor has received a few letters regarding the possible smell issue when the warm weather comes about. I am so angry right now I could cry. I am too angry to cry. I have spent hours and hours reading bylaws (so boring) only to find that our village ''facilitates agricultural growth"

I see nothing about numbers of chickens, no roosters allowed or anything to the sort! [​IMG]

I'm not sure what your issue is? Are you being cited when there is no ordinance against your animals?

As for a possible future issue, yes, some people will be concerned about future possibilities, but until you or someone else has an actual nuisance, you cannot be cited for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by