Has this egg been fertilized?

BChippieMama

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015

I have 8 laying hens that where hatched last spring, and 1 rooster that is between 14-16 weeks old and a hen the same age as well. I noticed this morning that this egg could possibly be fertilized?

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
What leads you to believe it is fertilized? I am not seeing the characteristic marking of a fertile egg - just a regular germinal disc. All eggs have a germinal disc, if an egg has been fertilized the disc shows a characteristic "bullseye" marking

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
That being said, you are almost at the point where you may start seeing some fertile eggs - have you seen your cockerel doing any mating yet?

chickengeorgeto

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Big Bend of the Tennessee River's Right Bank.
..... I have 8 laying hens that where hatched last spring, and 1 rooster that is between 14-16 weeks old and a hen the same age as well. I noticed this morning that this egg could possibly be fertilized?

I do not expect that a 3 1/2 or 4 month old cockerel would be fertilizing eggs yet. A 6 month old cockerel... maybe... an 8 month old cockerel, yes depending on breed, but the vigor and health of the chicks that he sires will be suspect until he is around 12 months old.

Once a pullets' eggs reach their full size potential she is in the pink as far as her reproductive vigor is concerned. Older hens (3 years and up) are on the back side of forty reproductively speaking. Roosters reach that same milestone after 3 years old. The simple act of a hen laying an egg does not represent a healthy and vigorous chick. The old saying "Don't count your chicks before they hatch" covers this.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom