Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kees, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    There were two people talking very loudly on the street where I live. When I opened the front door to see what was happening, lo and behold, there's an Eastern wild turkey hen walking back and forth less than 25 feet from where I was standing!

Apparently, this lone turkey heard or saw our chickens and decided to stop to say, "hello" to them. She was standing there looking unhappy, as if wishing that she could join the chickens in the pen.

I tried to toss some chicken feel outside so that the turkey could see that she was in no danger; this was a nice place to visit. But, she just slowly meandered down the street.

Drivers in cars were slowing down to a crawl with looks of incredulity on their faces.

I wish that I had a camera! At the the wild turkey could have taken the time to strike a pose until a local newspaper interviewed her.

Has this ever happened to you?

Suzy

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Not a turkey but I have had to slam on my brakes when a HUGE flock of California quail ran into the road in front of me.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    . As i kid i walked the dog for the night time lockup. I came close to a field of corn .I heard a noise and thought it sounded like somebody dying. SO i went cloet to check it out. Guess what i found? Two hedge hogs doing whoopie. [​IMG]

4. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I remember as a kid we lived in this snooty well to do neighborhood that out of nowhere had a peacock randomly show up and live up in the trees for a couple days. Man that thing was loud and of course the snot-nosed neighbors made their big stink. Personally I thought it was cool - pretty.

Now then... I'm totally peacock information challenged... I didn't think peacocks could fly... or at least not way up into the trees it found itself in.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  5. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Quote:No way!

[​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There's a wild turkey that lives in a large park in my city. It routinely stops cars and begs for food. [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:No way!

[​IMG]

is swear to my neighbors dead horse . It was a groaning noise and it really sounded like a dying person struggling to breath. Hedgehogs were fairly common where i grew up . They always came at night to steal the barncats food and milk.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Are you kidding me???!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now probably UTube have something for us to watch the hedgehogs making whoopie [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Too funny on the 'hogs.

I've never seen a wild turkey by itself. There are lots around our house, but always in small flocks. I hope your visitor returns!

10. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    My strangest visitor lit up all the dogs like a Christmas tree...I heard the bellowing and flew to the door to see who was being killed...running my fence trying to get in was an Emu...don't know where she came from but she hung around for a couple of days...I got close to her once and she was way taller than me and could have knocked my block off with those big feet...man the drumsticks on that baby...I was glad when she moved on...the dogs quit running, barking and slinging spit...I got some sleep...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by