Has This Ever Happened To You??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have only been keeping chickens for one year now and have learned that they do indeed have personality! But the strangest thing happened today. I had to take one of my girls to the vets today, "Tillie", after suffering with Bumblefoot for one month that I just could not cure. (went in 3 times, no plug. From what I understand, the vet did not find one either). Anyway, "Tillie" has been at the vets office since 10am this morning to which I am out the door right now to go pick her up.

But "Molly", "Tillie's" best buddy is over here screaming for her. All day Molly has been calling and calling, squawking and squawking for Tillie. Searching high and low. Molly has been standing at the gate, where she last saw me carry Tillie off, staring down the path, looking for her best friend! I can not believe the carrying on Molly is doing, looking for her buddy.

Amazing how these birds develop friendships and actually know when one of them has turned up missing!

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    yup. if it is a very small flock, they definitely form bonds and react that way.

3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I had a meat bird that formed a close bond with Blackie my Black Star(when they were both pullets). They did EVERYTHING together and got frantic when separated. [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It was a grand reunion when I brought home Tillie. Molly was excitedly waiting for me to open the gate and put Tillie down. Molly ran over and ran along side Tillie. But Tillie ran STRAIGHT for the nest box! I think she had been "pinching off" an egg as I think she was due to lay it around noon, but had to wait til 5pm! [​IMG]

5. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I've noticed the bonds in my little flock too. My 2 white silkies pal around together (well one is being broody right now). My BO (Beautiful) and my RIR (Red) are BFFs and are also always together. If anyone messes with Red, Beautiful will be right there making sure it never happens again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by