Has this happened to anyone, bator leaks the water out.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Foghorn Leghorn, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    oklahoma
    I put water in mine and it leaks out the bottom. This is a new bator too. I ended up putting saran wrap down then filled it with water. I'm just filling it where it says to in the instructions. I think I got a defective bator! Right now I have it sitting on a towel and the saran wrap inside. Wish I could coat it with something to make the leaking stop.

2. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Can you see the leak? You could try to seal it with silicone calkind. Or return it. I suggest if you have eggs in it though you do a quick caulking job.

3. Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 22, 2007
    oklahoma
    I can't see the leak, I'm hoping my saran wrap will last till the eggs hatch, then I am sealing it with something.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If it's a styrofoam incubator they have holes in the bottom for air circulation. If you overfill the section you put water in or tip it slightly after filling, water will come out those holes.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Do you have a plastic liner in the bottom?

6. Hi!
    I have a LG that does that --- it leaks from the main trough. Before I use it again I need to coat the bottom with something.
    I haven't decided what yet, tho.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

7. Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 22, 2007
    oklahoma
    Dipsy Doodle Doo, it is a LG, whew well I ain't crazy after all!![​IMG] When you figure out what to coat yours with, clue me in!! Thanks

Mine has no liner.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can order a liner for not very much for it.

9. Thanks, Katy! I didn't know that.
    If you look at the bottom of the LG, you can see it's not very thick.
    I'd only ever used it as a hatcher and I think the last time I was cleaning it a shell fragment poked thru (I was scrubbing pretty enthusiastically).

[​IMG]
    Lisa

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If its not totally full of eggs, you could also put a few bowls in on top of the wire with water in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by